Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How fast does Carolina Jessamine grow?

Posted by jasminehearted 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 20:04

I have been trying to find this answer for days. I bought a Carolina Jessamine/Jasmine plant for my patio that I'm hoping will just cover the inside fence (I want it to be massive full, everywhere).

It's probably about 7 feet long but with just a few vines. Healthy and glossy. I'm planning to put it in the ground (it's in a nice planter for now). The thing is I cannot get a reliable answer as to how fast this plant grows.

The nursery told me it is super slow only growing a few inches a year. My grandmother said in three years her jasmine just covered the side of her house. I'm not sure if we have the same jasmine, she seemed sure we did, but I think hers may be confederate. Sometimes I hear that it grows fast, and sometimes I hear it grows very slow. Which is it?

If it grows only a few inches a year does that mean it'll take 10 years to fill my fence? Or does it get fuller as it gets longer? Can anyone give me a clear account of it's growing habits? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How fast does Carolina Jessamine grow?

Here is a photo of my Carolina Jasmine. I would say it grows 5 foot a year which I assume is fast for any plant. There are about two plants on either side of the arbor and I would say it took about three years to get to the stage you see. The vine has yellow trumpet flowers in the spring which have no aroma like regular jasmine. Yes, it definitely gets bushy as it grows. Our problem is trimming it over the stairs without killing ourselves leaning ladders, etc. What you see here has been recently trimmed because it gets a little wild looking if let go too long. It needs to be trimmed 3 or so times a summer, maybe more if we have a lot of rain. If the jasmine were on a wall, the trimming would be much easier.

o

I think they take a couple years before they take off. Mine has not does much this year. I had one at my last house that was huge...I lived there 10 years.

o

Uh oh, I went to look at my tag and it turns out I have Madison Jasmine. Not sure how that happened! Well I guess same question, different jasmine

o

"Madison " is simply a cultivar of Confederate Jasmine. It will grow quite quickly in your climate. It's more common in colder locations since it has proven itself to be hardier than other Trachelospermum jasminoides.

o

Jasminehearted,
I have "Madison", it grows fast once you plant it and water on a regular basis when it's hot.
The blooms in April and May are extremely fragrant, you will love the scent.
Plant it with some composted cow manure and mulch goood. Water it often, I had to dig mine out from the front of my house, it was planted by hose. It grew so fast and spread so fast, I was tired of cutting it.
I still have some more of it on the other side of the house, and if it behaves itself, (dosn't get as much water) I will keep it.
By nextyear it will really take off for you, but the fragrance in the spring months is why I loved it.

o

Thank you everyone!

I don't know how I got confused about the type of Jasmine I had. The plant is doing well and all your answers were very informative! I'm training it onto a fishing line latice I strung onto the fence. I can't wait for it to fill in!

o

My mom planted one about 5 years ago. For the past three years, we've had to trim it back repeatedly ALL SUMMER LONG in order to still use the glider on the porch. It would be a wonderful plant, if she'd planted it somewhere else.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 12:51

Both plant are fast growers, easy to root & look lovely on a fence in my zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here