Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thorny Vine ID

Posted by salem_moondance 7 Long Island (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 20:29

I posted this on the weeds forum but it dawned on me that this is more vine-like...

Can anyone identify what this is and how to get rid of it? If left alone it will twine around and strangle everything in its path. It is extremely thorny (hard, not soft thorns). When I try to pull it up there is a lot of resistance and will finally break but I can't seem to get any roots. Thanks for any ideas.

weed1

weed2

weed3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thorny Vine ID

It is a type of Smilax with several common names. Bamboo vine, Greenbriar, Catbriar. You won't be able to pull it up unless it's very young. Established plants have a huge, tough, knotty root. Unless you want to use chemical means it will have to be dug out and it will be a job. The good news is that it doesn't have a tap root. The root usually grows a foot or so underground and spreads out. It looks a little like a bunch of co-joined, jointed, potatoes but is very tough. If you don't get it all it will sprout again. Good luck.

o
RE: Thorny Vine ID

HAH! That is my old friend the "Klingon Vine". We lived in a 100 year old farmhouse and the front fence was covered with this vine. Just had to let it be and keep it cut back, no doing anything with it. We are big Star Trek fans so it was natural to name it after the tough and "thorny" Klingons. That is what I will always call it--it should be their national plant!!!!!!!
Betsy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here