Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another MG to ID

Posted by suseart 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 21:17

I asked another person I met on this forum, Susan T. to help me ID this one as it came from a mixed bunch of seeds she sent me last summer. It is on a few of the vines I got from that bunch of seeds. It has the interesting non-heart shaped leaves that other of my MGs have. Ideas on this one? We're stumped!

Here is a link that might be useful: Skyblue MG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another MG to ID

Suseart,

can you post a pic of the leaves or describe what they look like.
How big is the flower?

does it look anything like this with a flower about 1 1/2 inch?

Ipomoea hederacea 1 1/2in 8/20

Fran

o

Fran, the leaves look like ivy, and yes, it's a smaller than normal bloom. I will measure the next one in the morning, but that sounds right.

-Susan

o
RE: Another MG to ID-PS

It does look like the picture you posted.

-Susan

o

this
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RqP5cYoi7UQ/Sk6szq330dI/AAAAAAAABDc/4-NKWlwhshs/s576/DSC_0083.JPG
is either
Ipomoea hederacea
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/152267/

or possibly a relatively rare strain of
Ipomoea nil
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/784362/

o

Susan,

interested eyes ID it before I could post. Ipomoea hederacea/ivy leaf morning glory.

very small flowers, another one I don't like. I grew it last year for the first time and collected seeds for trade but will not grow it again.

Flowers far to small and just sort of sit there. Says nothing to me when there are so many beautiful other, larger blooming MG to grow.

Fran

o

Yes, I believe both of you nailed its ID. I agree that although the color is lovely, it's too small and unremarkable otherwise. Unfortunately, I ended up with four or possibly more ( some haven't bloomed yet but have that ivy leaf) this year. Here in San Diego we grow them as perennials, because weather does not deter them much. They bloom year round and take over entire gardens if left to their own devices, so I am keeping them in pots. So I try to grow what I really want to keep, and this one I will keep for the lovely color, give the rest away. Thanks for the ID, both of you!

-Susan

o

Hi suseart,

Ipomoea hederacea and Ipomoea nil are 'annuals' PERIOD!
These two Morning Glories will grow as an annual no matter where you are on this planet.

The description of what you are talking about that is a perennial could be Ipomoea indica, which I do grow. Also, is there a possibility that you may have more than one very closely related Morning Glory species growing in the exact same area as the photo you posted?

This is a very small world!
Would you believe that I just wrote your friend Susan IN CANADA this afternoon with an ID that your plant is I. hederacea.

This can get very deep with an explanation, so I would like to re-analize what you have. If you are a member of Daves you can read this entire thread that will explain some of what needs to be taken into consideration.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/784362/

Soooo,
will you please get my email from Susan and email me and I will help you get this properly Id'd.

TOO MUCH FUN!

Emma

o

Emma, YES, Ron confirmed last year that I was growing Ipomoea indica, which took over my entire back fence and choked out many other bushes and trees, and my husband and I spent countless hours cutting back trying to save others from being destroyed. Since I have only grown that one type in the ground, and all other MGs in pots and YES, you're right, so far the others don't seem to survive past the season. As a novice grower of MGs, I didn't realize they didn't all do the same thing, so (whew!) am glad to hear that. My husband, seeing all the pots lined up against the side of our house, vines winding around the fence posts, sort of panicked and suggested he would be out every weekend with his tools cutting back the runners, as he had with the Ipomoea indica. He will be relieved to hear they are not all perennials.

I knew you and Susan wrote about my I. hederacea today, and I really appreciate your help here. I am a novice MG grower, but love them so much, and so appreciate all the help! I will post pictures as the next "Split Personality" blooms to confirm whether or not it is really a Crimson Rambler.

thanks,
Susan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here