Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

American wysteria question

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

I bought an American Wysteria in about a 1/2 gallon pot and put it in a larger planter (maybe about a 12" pot). I have the plant sitting in the corner of my balcony that has trellises on all side. The plants gets indirect sun in the a.m. and early afternoon, and then direct sun from like 300p onward.

The plant really took off and has alot of growth. However I've noticed that in some parts some of the main branches that branch off from the main one, don't have much growth until it get further up the branch and suddenly there's all this branching off with lots of growth. As a result the plant looks a bit 'leggy' in some parts, and then in comparison other parts look a bit 'out of control'.

Should I cut the plant back down a bit to promote more bushiness? (Although I suppose with limited balcony space I may not want it TOO bushy!) I suppose maybe I could cut it back so it DOES get more bushy, and then whenever I think it's getting too much so, I can cut branches off as needed?

I think I'd heard that American Wysteria is quite a strong grower, so perhaps no matter how much I cut it back this thing is going to rebound and thrive...maybe I shouldn't worry too much and just prune however I see fit, using basic pruning principles (i.e., making a clean cut just over a pair of leaves)?

Also, it so happens that today on my little balcony that has about 12 different plants, right above some of the Wysteria stems, and on the trellis, was a huge DRAGONFLY. I was very surprised but happy to see such an insect on my urban balcony. I mean, it's not like I'm surrounded by trees or other gardens. The nearest real 'yard' is like 80' away from my balcony. Is it possible that dragonflies are specifically attracted to Wysteria (btw I have no flowers yet on the plant)?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH