Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No more Japanese M.G's for me!

Posted by thistle ontario 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 21:49

Although I think they are beautiful and I would love to have them in my garden I just cannot get them to grow. This is my 3rd year trying them and so far they have still only reached about 3 inches in height.All my others are growing and blooming like crazy now,so sad to say I have to admit defeat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No more Japanese M.G's for me!

Dont give up...Try try again...I had a bad year this year too..Too cold I think...

o

Yes, the JMG's always grow much more slowly than the other kind, but they are worth the wait. Although they seldom have time to set seed here in Zone 5, I usually do get at least a few blooms from each vine. You might want to try Hatsu Arashi. It tends to bloom earlier than the others, generally when it is only a few inches tall!

o

I am zone 5 (southern NH) and planted some Japanese Morning Glory in about mid-June. They are shorter than my other "native morning glorys, not least because I received those as already started seeds in beginning June.

However, one is about 3 ft tall, the other about 1 foot (not as tall because the original planted seeds kept getting dug out by a chipmunk, until after a couple weeks I got the message through my thick head and started a seed inside)

I fully expect some flowers in the next couple of weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here