Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstone

Identify Morning Glory Vine?

dragonstone
13 years ago

This vine is taking over my sister's bed and she's not sure whether to rip it out or not.

What caught me offguard was the shape of the leaves. I told her I'm sure that this is a morning glory vine but I've never seen leaves have that awkward shape.

Comments (3)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

In order of likelihood :

Ipomoea hederacea
    Ipomoea lacunosa
    Ipomoea cordatotriloba
    Ipomoea purpurea var.diversifolia

All of the above can produce leaves shaped like the ones in your photo link...

I already have 5-lobed versions of the 1st three on the above list but if it turns out to be Ipomoea purpurea I'd be interested to trade for some seeds...

Maybe remove some of it (cut some of it back) and let some flower so you can see what it is (?)...

Hope that helps...

regards,

Ron

• skippy05
    13 years ago

Ron,
    I have one that someone gave me seed - they said it was Japanese Imperial Blue???? The leaves look like that, 3 lobed.
    It is growing like a weed & is now going up our 20 ft. tall holly tree. It must be at least 10 feet by now. Unfortunately, it does not have one flower...

It is the first time I planted these seeds so I have no idea how it will do?? I actually do not have many flowers on any of the mgs.

BUT, we are having a heat wave in Philly, could that be it????
    Thanks

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

Hey skippy05 - Yes, after I posted I realized that there was another species I wanted to add after the Ipomoea cordatotriloba and that was Ipomoea nil but can't edit posts on this site...
    although the Ipomoea nil tends to more commonly produce the 3-lobed leaves more often than the 5-lobed shape as seen in the reference photo , the more 'wild' strains of Ipomoea nil can produce the 5-lobed form as seen in the photo...

There is no legitimate scientific name of Ipomoea 'imperialis'...the 'imperialis' is a 'horticultural' marketing name and most of what is called 'imperialis' is Ipomoea nil...when you see 'imperialis' used it tends to indicate that the describer doesn't know what they really have...

The sepals are a much more definitive key than the leaves as per IDentification in Ipomoea...the leaves in the photo could belong to any of the species mentioned but the sepals on all the species will be definitively different...

The heat could be causing some species / cultivars to delay flowering although most people are still getting flowering..

Thanks

regards,

Ron

P.S. - The thread is technically an ID thread , so in the interest of staying on topic , may I suggest a new thread for growing conditions if there is enough continued interest...

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County