Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigcorn_gw

Japanese Hops

bigcorn
15 years ago

Does anybody here have any experience with this vine? Iam planting some of It around a building I got and hoping that they will do good. The strange thing Is on the packet It says It can be sown in the early spring, summer or fall. And I thought that It would be to late to grow It since winter aint to far here. And Also since its a annual. But would It have time to reseed itself even this late into summer? Im in zone 6b. I might want to add that this is not the variegated strain but the original.

Comments (6)

• carol23_gw
    15 years ago

If it flowers and sets seed, you'll likely have a continual supply of plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese hops

• julia
    15 years ago

I think some of the confusing info concerning planting time on the packet is because Japanese Hops is a half hardy perennial that is grown like an annual in most of the US. I would plant it the same time of the year as you plant Morning Glories in your area; MG is another perennial we treat as an annual. In my zone 8, that would be in the Spring when the soil is warm. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the roots winter over. Hope you know what you are getting into. This vine is a beast and gives you a rash too.

• bigcorn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey thanks for the info and link carol. Julia I love this vine as far as looks goes this Is my favorite vine and thus the reason Im planting It. I have been around this vine MANY times Im not allergic to It at all just really like the way it looks. I order enough seed that If by chance the ones I planted don't come up then I got a ton more to plant, so either way I think Im covered but just REALLY hopeing that It will have time to grow and set seed and whatever else It deciedes to do LOL. As far as the MG go I have no idea at all about them things. Im not much into flowers, being a guy of course but this thing really got my attention with Its looks. sooooooo who knows. All i can do at this point in time is hope for the best. and yes I do hope the roots winter well in my zone 6b. Everybody keep your fingers crossed. LOL

• julia
    15 years ago

I love the looks of Hops vines also, especially the golden foliage ones. `But, I grow Humulus lupulus Aureus, the European hardy perennial used in beer making. It doesn't have those tiny hooks that pierce the skin and give you rashes. And, it isn't on the alien invasive plant lists for every state east of the Mississippi.

Here is a link that might be useful: European Golden Hops

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Golden hops certainly does produce the tiny stem thorns/bristles or 'hooks' - that's the method the vines use to attach themselves to any nearby supports. The rampant growth of this vine (don't believe the PR about it being more docile or restrained than plain green forms) was so rapid, it would reach out into a nearby walkway and grab passersby, not to mention snaring my Cocker spaniel on her usual route to the back garden. I'd endlessly find tufts of blond fur clinging the stems. I can attest to the fact that it can scratch and tear bare skin - I've had the wounds to prove it garnered from the nearly constant pruning needed to keep the monster in check :-) If you are sensitive to the chemicals it contains it can very well cause skin reactions. It is also incredibly aggressive and semi-invasive, producing copius amounts of root suckers at great distances from the mother plant. I finally got fed up with the brutishnss of the plant and removed it, but I'm still digging up suckers some 5 years later. I'd approach any hops vine, annual or not, with great caution. And one that is listed as an invasive weed with numerous states I'd avoid like the plague!!

• bigcorn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gardengal is right on, the Humulus lupulus Aureus DOES have the hooks just like most of the varieties, It might not be invasive but It will leave Its mark on you just the same. My japanese hops are considered invasive and thats why Im growing them because of there toughness, and there ability to spread rapidly. It is in the same family as marijuana so I know It will be a very tough vine and I hope It does spread like crazy cause I got alot of ground I want covered, and besides should the birds scatter the seeds else where a simply mowing can take care of it for a while. Anyways Im sticking to my guns on this one, Im growing It I like It so much that Im growing It PERIOD.