Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hops invasive?

Posted by wigardenerwannabe Z5 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 22:23

I have a hops vine growing between a sidewalk and a dog run that has a chainlink fence and stones on the floor of it. I didn't think it would survive in this spot but it seems to be growing and looking healthy. On the other hand the more I read about it, the more I'm afraid it could get out of hand. I've read that it can be quite hard to get rid of and grows into a monster size. So, can anyone give me some input about whether I should be pulling it out before I regret it, or if the location will be to my advantage in containing its growth? thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hops invasive?

This is a big vine, but not invasive or destructive, You should be able to keep it in check with regular pruning. The great news is that is not toxic to your dogs just in case they decide to do your pruning for you. Many other vines are not safe to screen dog runs. My sister-in-law's most reputable landscaper planted Carolina Jessamine in front of her dog fence. Bad choice as a small nibble will kill an adult goat.

o

Hops can spread by underground rhizomes so I would consider it to be a very enthusiatic grower. I had the variety known as Golden Nugget and it got out of control within two years and as a result I killed it off by digging up as many of the rhizomes as possible and spraying anything else that came up with Roundup. Mine was in an uncontained area so you might get away with it in your situation but just be on the look out for it popping up in unexpected areas.

o

My sister grows hundreds of variety of Hosta. She has a huge honeysuckle hedge line around her property. Her neighbor planted hops on his fence two years ago. It is now in her Hosta's and is just taking over. She's at her wits end. She has said something to the neighbor and he doesn't think it is his problem. Make sure it isn't something that will hurt any body's yard around you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here