Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with plant identification: Pipevine??

Posted by rynthae SW Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 22:39

Hello everyone!

I moved across the country to southwest Florida recently and I am still learning all of the local plants. I have been very interested in starting up a butterfly garden, and so I've been planting host and nectar plants for several varieties. I recently stumbled across this vine and I was wondering: is this a type of pipevine (host plant for the pipevine swallowtail)? There were no visible flowers, but the vine was extremely proliferous (growing at least ten feet tall and covering the ground where I found it). It has the signature heart-shaped leaf and tendrils seem to exhibit similar tendencies as the pipevine (wrapping together to make "braids" or "cords"). However, the vein patterns on these leaves do not seem to match pictures of most species of pipevine that I have seen.

Is this a pipevine? If so, does anyone know what species? And if it isn't a pipevine, does anyone know what it is? Whatever it is, it was growing wild near a canal down here in SW Florida, if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with plant identification: Pipevine??

It does look like a pipevine. Could it be Kudzu?
I have not grown pipevine, but am impressed with the selection offered by Lazy s's nursery, while only a customer and many States away from them. They offer some photos that might help in ID.

o

This looks like the invasive Air Potato vine (Dioscorea bulbifera).

o

I looked it up and I have to agree, trini1, it looks exactly like an Invasive Air Potato, so I'm inclined to think that's what this is... looks like I'll be ordering some pipevine seeds after all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here