Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ordoman

Urgent help! Please help me save my favorite plant!

ordoman
13 years ago

Hello everyone!

About half a year ago, I planted a few blue morning glory seeds I had collected a long time ago, and have been caring for them since then. But today, disaster struck.

My vines had grown beautifully, climbing the wall of my garden. Coming home today from work, I found they had been pulled off the wall by some imbecile. Only the bottom 2ft managed to stay attached, and are holding the weight of the rest (which was about 6ft high). I can't take any pictures right now, since it is dark and rainy outside, but the leaves look mostly OK still I don't know how long they'll stay that way. It's the stems that look badly damaged: they're all torn, broken and bent sharply in many places.

These plants have a very special sentimental significance for me, and I am really desperate to save them.

What should I do? I cannot reattach them to the wall, and the wall itself is of very weak block, so it wouldn't hold any nails or screws. Should I cut them where they were bent? Will they survive and blossom if I do? I will be very grateful for any help you can give me.

Comments (4)

• Edie
    13 years ago

My moonflowers, which are related to morning glories, sent out new branches when the tops snapped off this spring. I've never pruned morning glories, but there's a chance they will do the same. I would carefully straighten the bent stems, and not cut them unless the vines began to wither where they were bent. Sometimes a plant can rebuild a bent stem, but it takes time and must be treated gently, like a broken bone. Either way I don't know if they will bloom, because I don't know how they behave in your climate. The vines will definitely need something to climb, otherwise they will sprawl on the ground and likely get stepped on by imbeciles. Can you put a trellis in that spot? A teepee made from three or four long sticks tied together at the top? Make sure to sink the poles deep into the ground, at least a foot down, so it can't blow over in a strong wind. I've had that happen. I've also had wind and rain rip vines off of poles. You may want to gently tie the vines to whatever poles/supports you use, to prevent this.

I hope this helps; blue morning glories are worth saving for their beauty alone, and it sounds like these have a special place in your heart.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Can you set a trellis of some sort between the plant and the wall then reattach the vines? If not I'd just cut the stems at the point where they've fallen away from the wall. They should send out new growth. I hope it was an animal or something that caused them to pull away from the wall. I hate to think it was an inconsiderate individual. Good luck.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

ordoman - Could you go into your profile , scroll down the page and place a check in the box that says :

"allow other users to send you email via forms at our site."

or contact me at

androl@optonline.net

I'd like to send you a private message

Thanks

Ron

• ordoman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: I followed your advice and tried to save as many stems as possible, carefully untangling them from the ones that were too damaged. Took a long time, and many leaves withered and are falling, but they are now sprouting new branches and seem to be doing fine. Also, I found out who did it and am planning revenge, hehehehe.
    Many thanks for helping me out =)

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6