Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

This year's 'Blue Moon' wisteria pics

arctictropical
13 years ago

The 'Blue Moon' wisteria, rated for zone 3, just gets better every year. here are three pics I took yesterday. The fragrance isn't quite as sweet as it's oriental cousins, but it still has a nice fragrance that waft's through the air.

Comments (14)

• dianasan
    13 years ago

Kudos! Lovely blooms and beautiful pergola and seating area.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Wow is that pretty!

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

That is soooo pretty! When do you prune and how?? I love
    it!!
    Margaret

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unlike it's oriental cousins, I really didn't prune this wisteria that much this Spring (March). I just pruned a few vine ends off to keep them close to the trellis. I never have to prune them half way through the summer, like I do my Chinese wisteria (which would grow out of control, if I let it.)

13 years ago

Since youve posted this pic ive really been considering this for my new arbor. I know it gets 20-30 feet long, so im wondering if i can train it up the arbor and back down the other side, and along the picket fence connected to the arbor. What are your thoughts on it being weaved along the fence? Is this posible or should i look for another fence vine?
    And also, does yours bloom twice or even the 3rd time? And how long is your bloom period? Thanks for any help, i want to make sure i make the right choice! :)

• wink_in_training
    13 years ago

I am new to the forum (and gardening on my own, for that matter!) and have been doing a lot of reading here! Does anyone know where i can purchase wisteria in CNY or online? I'm not even sure which variety i should choose, but here's my situation...my grandmother has always fancied wisteria. She has one in her garden at home but it has never bloomed. Our family owns some secluded land with a cabin on it that she used to garden regularly, 15 years ago it looked like a well manicured state park. Now, i am 25 and my grandma is 75. To her great pleasure, i have always taken interest in learning from her and continuing everything she has done on our family's land now that she cannot (she has RA and is not nearly as mobile most days). Recently while the two of us were discussing my engagement and eventual wedding (which will take place on our land that we call "the hill"), she told me how beautiful it would be if we were married under the arbor up there if it were covered in wisteria. I would love to make this a reality for her, since she is not in good health these days and she is very dear to my heart. However, all these stories about wisteria never blooming has really dampened my spirits, and furthermore, i can't even find a place to buy it! Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Info:
    -space is not an issue up there/nor will be lack of attention
    -i can winterize the vine if needed
    -looking for cutting from old, reliable flowering plant
    -cost not an issue
    -the 'arbor' in question is extremely sturdy (more like a small pergola, if you ask me) so that shouldn't be an issue, either.
    -we have not 'set a date' for the wedding yet, but are tentatively planning on late spring 2012, so early (**crosses fingers**) dare i ask for-prolific blooming is most important! I WILL delay my wedding for those flowers!!! Haha

13 years ago

Wink, why not look into the blue moon type? It is sold in nursuries already blooming size, is bud hardy, and rumored to bloom 3 times a year? Ive seen them at most nice nursuries ive been to, so surely they have them in ny. Good luck!

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lilyfinch, if it were me, I would plant two wisteria plants on both sides of the arbor. I don't think they will do so well climbing back down the other side. Since the 'Blue Moon' variety doesn't put out long vines like the oriental varieties, it may be tough waiting for it to grow down the other side, even if you tried it. In my climate, mine only blooms once, but over an extended period of about 3 weeks to a month. It just finished up blooming. Regarding weaving it along a picket fence... yes, if you want to take the time to tie the vines in place as they grow. Why not! Wink, I agree totally with Lilyfinch. This 'Blue Moon' wisteria is the way to go. It blooms consistenly every year, from it's first year in the soil. Go for it! Good luck. Lilyfinch, I have a son living in Pittsburgh with his young family, going to school. We visit there every year. I wish we lived in zone 6 and received the rain that you do. Our climate is too dry in the summers, and too harsh in the winters to grow some of the beautiful plants like you do so easily, like rhododendrons, azaleas and magnolias. I'm getting some of these things to grow, but some varieties really struggle in our climate, and others just simply die in our dry air, somewhat alkali soil, and cold temperatures. I'm jealous.

• wink_in_training
    13 years ago

Thanks lilyfinch and arctic, for your advice, greatly appreciated! arctic- how old is your blue moon that you have over your swing? And you mentioned that you also have Chinese wisteria- does it bloom at the same time/last as long as the blue moon? I've been thinking about planting one of each and seeing what happens -survival of the fittest!

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wink, My 'Blue Moon' is only 4 years old. My Chinese wisteria is over 15 years old, and has never bloomed in the Spring. It had a few blossoms for the first time last Summer, and this Spring, it has a lot of winter die back of the branches. I'm sure whatever flower buds it had were also killed. If you plant an oriental wisteria, you'd better have a lot of patience for it to bloom!

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I've been told by several British gardeners that Wisteria typically won't bloom for the first five years and that if it's planted in the right spot. If it's planted in the wrong place, not getting enough sun it may not bloom at all.
    Like clematis it does not like it's roots fooled with once it's planted. If you transplant it it's likely to take another five yrs. for it to bloom.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Carol from ny. The oriental varieties are very, very slow to bloom. However, the American varieties bloom very early. The 1 gallon plants of the 'Blue moon' variety had blooms on them when they arrived in the mail (I purchased them on-line).

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the first year I have cut all of the seed pods off of my 'Blue Moon' wisteria. There were a several hundred of them. The vine has really filled out since doing this. The foilage is quite beautiful. I expect an even nicer bloom next Spring since it's not putting it's strength towards ripening the pods.

• elvis1968
    9 years ago

Please tell me where I can purchase your White Arbor Swing its beautiful. They seem to be hard to find. Thank you!