Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommomsgarden

Lotsa shade!

mommomsgarden
10 years ago

Anyone know of a pretty flowering vine that likes a lot of shade?

Comments (11)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

How much sun do you get? Like how many hours? Is there any direct sunlight? Where in the world do you live?

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New Jersey. Little bit of sun maybe 2-3 hours a day. Mostly shade.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

How much space do you have? What kind of structure will it be grown on? Can you add a pic of the spot to this discussion?

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It will be grown on a fence. I don't have a pic at the moment will post today!

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the backyard where the fence is

• true_blue
    10 years ago

I've got several questions:
    1) Is it the see through fence in the foreground you're talking about or the wooden one further away?
    2) What is the length of the fence you want to cover?
    3) When do you have your sun, morning or afternoon?
    4) Is your 2/3 hours of sun continuous? Or is it more of a hodgepodge dappled light?
    5) What are the trees you've got there?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The only things I could think of don't really fit the bill... It looks so shady that the grass isn't doing well but may just be getting played on a lot.

Sweet potato vine (comes in 3 leaf colors) doesn't make flowers.

Autumn Clematis can tear a fence apart.

Climbing Hydrangea up the tree trunks would be nice, IMO, but not what was asked. Some taller plants at the base of the fence might be enjoyable, bleeding hearts, Thalictrum, Brunnera, shrubby Hydrangeas.

To really block the view, a mixed, staggered hedge of larger shrub plants could be used. That would require a much deeper bed but might be worth it to block such a close, direct view if you can spare the play space. No idea how much room you have back there.

In case others are seeing it sideways, here's what's upright to me.

• TulsaRose
    10 years ago

Sweet Potato vines have always bloomed for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Potato vine blooms

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Growing vines under trees needs more care as trees grab most of the water and nutrients and light available. In order for the plants to get established you need to take care of them accordingly the first 2- 3 years. (Good Soil/ regular watering etc).

If it is flowering vines youâÂÂre looking for you need to understand that you might have much less flower than the same vine in full sun. I donâÂÂt mind it, actually, I prefer it somewhat âº. From what IâÂÂve read several type II clematis (especially the lighter colored ones), like Nelly Moser/ Duchess of Edinburgh can be grown in part shade. The flowers donâÂÂt bleach in the harsh sunlight and stay longer.

IâÂÂll have a tendency to go with a vine, which can fend for itself in the long run, a big clematis like Tangutica/ Summer snow, or a virginia creeper if you don't care for flowers.

However, they might overwhelm your fence :)

If you like clematis. Search for them on this link. In aspect select shade / part shade and youâÂÂll have a long list. There are 79 clematis, which can grow in full shade âº

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis search

• Susan249PA
    10 years ago

TrueBlue, great selection of shade clematis! I like your suggestion as well as those of purplehopp, who suggested a mixed-height shrub selection. But maybe mommom would want to consider a mix of both ideas for the fence. A mixed border of varied height shrubs...btw azaleas may be a good additional choice....AND some lovely clematis that grow behind the lower shrubs. That combination of shrubs and vines would create more texture on the fence....with some portion of the fence remaining a bit 'see thru', while other carefully selected portions of the fence are completely covered, creating more privacy.

For what it's worth, i n my former home in zone 5, I found Virginia Creeper was a very aggressive vine. That said, it may be ideal for this specific site since it is aggressive but also easily ripped out. Momom would have to pay attention and make sure the vine didn't run up the trees and smother them.....to death. With vigilance, I was able to keep mine under control and chose to do so because i think it's a fine looking vine.

Cheers,
    Susan

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Susan, I have a love, hate relationship with Virginia Creeper.
    I like it because it can grow in deep shade without any mollycoddling, covering ungainly structures. For years it covered my sunroom, creating a natural green screen, where birds loved to hide and seek the berries. The beautiful reddish fall color is a plus.
    I think it is a lovely vine to cover houses, but it has to trimmed regularly. I finally got rid of mine, as it went under the eaves and caused some damage.
    But to cover a fence like that I have some reservations. My neighbour's fence, which is the same size as mommoms is collapsing under the shear weight of the non clinging type, parthenocissus inserta. Also, it self seeds everywhere, which is really a pain.
    But I agree with you, and purple. I think with using different shade tolerant plants, she can create a beautiful haven. And to avoid the monotonous green, a combination of Clematis, False spireas(Sorbaria sorbifolia) & purple leaved Cimicifugas and Hydrangeas in the back ground, ferns (ostrich / Japanese painted fern) blue/yellow leaved hostas ( I love the giant hosta sieboldiana) and Japanese fountain grass (Hakonechloa macro) & Heucheras could really make a difference.