Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting grape vine cuttings

Posted by dimitrig SoCal z10a/21 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 1:18

I had a very large (maybe 40 years old) grape vine covering my arbor. Unfortunately, the root of it was on my neighbor's land and he chose to cut it down because he's a jerk. Now I am left with the rest of the grapes (which I harvested) and all of the vines. I asked him to just pull out the root and give it to me, but he cut it to pieces. Needless to say I am very angry and sad. Is there any way that I can take cuttings from this vine and root them this time of year? I have feet and feet of woody vines some of them maybe 4 inches around. There is not a lot of green growth this time of year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting grape vine cuttings

Sorry no one responded sooner :-) Perhaps too late now to do anything with the remains of your plant but greenwood cuttings of grapes generally take reasonably well. I've attached a link to a previous GW discussion on this subject.

The good news is that grapes grow easily and fast so if you do not succeed with cuttings of your previous grape, planting a new one should guarantee success!!

Here is a link that might be useful: grape propagation

o
RE: Rooting grape vine cuttings

Okay, well, I placed the cuttings in pots in soil in a shady spot and watered with B-1 and Superthrive every other day. Some of the cuttings I dipped in rooting hormone and others I did not. This week some of my cuttings have started to leaf out! Yay!

So I have more questions:

1. Do they need any sort of fertilizer?

2. When can I move them into the sunlight?

3. Should I plant them in the ground or overwinter them in their pots?

4. It is getting close to the time of year when grapes will start to go dormant. There is not very much time for a lot of new growth before winter (such as it is in Southern California). I am not sure if grapes lose their leaves because of the lack of light or because of cold, but what can I do to help these cuttings survive their first winter? If I had taken the cutting in May I wouldn't be wondering, but it is odd to have new growth now in mid-September. Will they go dormant and then leaf out in spring or should I treat them in a special way (heating pad, greenhouse, etc.)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here