Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

2010 blooms/aka continued saga of the mutated mt fuji mg

littleonefb
13 years ago

It's another year with new blooms from my "mutant Mt Fuji morning glory.

For those that don't know or don't remember the story a brief synopsis:

The original seeds where from a trade on the seed exchange and where supposed to be Mt Fuji blue/purple and where received over the winter 2007 and sowed in the spring of 2007.

I had tons and tons of wintersown seedlings to plant, along with all my MG and this particular seedling got lost amongst the containers and before I knew it, it was blooming in a styrofoam cup that I had sown it in.

To my surprise it was not what it was supposed to be, but rather a mutated version of Mt Fuji and a violet color.

It only had 3 blooms, including the first one after I got it in the ground and I only got 2 seeds for the following year.

2008, I sowed the 2 seeds, both germinated and bloomed with nice size flowers, but the blooms where totally different from the year before. I did got a huge number of seeds, saved them all for the next year.

2009, sowed about 5 seeds, all germinated by the New England weather was so bad for most of the summer, cold and 2 months of rain, that they never bloomed. So nothing for last year.

2010, I sowed 12 seeds saved from 2008 and all 12 seeds germinated. I have 4 to one friend that lives on another side of the town I live in and 4 to a friend that lives in the next town over about 5 miles away and I kept 4 for myself.

Well, low and behold, 2 vines bloomed last week, so totally different from the 2008 plant they came from, a totally different color but some of the markings are very much the same as the parent plant from 2008.

A third vine bloomed yesterday, again, totally different bloom from the 2 that bloomed last week. this bloom was the original color, with markings similar to the 2 pink ones from last week, but their was a white picotee edge to it and the flower was huge, 5-6 inches.

No signs of buds on the 4th vine yet, but can't wait to see what it blooms.

Fran

Here are the pics to see.

original bloom in 2007 in the cup before planting in the ground

{{gwi:423130}}

2008 bloom

{{gwi:417114}}

2009 blooms, first 2 blooms from last week

yesterdays bloom that was 5-6 inches

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews