Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trumpet Vine Hell

Posted by westy1941 z5 NO IL (cdwestg@comcast.net) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 2:59

A mistake I made five years ago has to go. Can't take the dropped flowers on the patio. Thought I'd have my son dig it up and transplant but have no structure for it other than the pergola it is now climbing. Will this transplant easily enough? Is Fall a good time? And will it look okay just sprawling across the ground on the top of a berm that is only pine straw? There are pine trees and not much sun. I hate to kill it. The only other place is an arborvitae hedge about 8 feet tall - but I think it would knock them all over eventually!

Any opinions or experience much appreciated.

Westy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trumpet Vine Hell

You may not be able to kill it,ever! I would wait until it's dormant and then transplant. Get as much root as you can, it will sulk for sure. Keep in mind if this is campsis radicans you may never be able to get rid of it! Do a search on this sit for more info. When the world ends, there will be Roaches, Cher, and Trumpet vines left!

o

It IS Campsis Radicans. Great. Just what I thought. I might use a vine killer and forget about transplanting - just cut it down to the ground. And that's the funniest thing I ever heard about the end of the world! You are SO right!

Westy

o

Yes, rid yourself of the Trumpet Vine, if you think you can. :)( enter-Music from the movie "Jaws"),also,- at the end of the world the Trumpet Vine will still be lovely, but plastic surgery can only hold out so long.

o

Westy, go easy on the vine killer it really doesn't work well on campsis. Just dig it out and pull'em as they sprout over the next century....

Arum, I stand corrected! LOL, I can see it now...a pile of silicone, stitches, and waist length wigs!

I do love the woman though!

o

What can I say? Even Michael Jackson has talent. :)

o

Ah, but can he Garden???
LOL, enjoy the rest of the weekend!

o

hi! i've been away from garden web quite a while, but have a question about trumpet vine..is there one that's not so invasive? i have been reading about "indian summer" that blooms the first year according to one seller....thanks

o

Hey Jimsgirl,
Can't comment from personal experience with Indian Summer, but from what I've heard none of them can be trusted at this point! I've been chomping at the bit for one that is tamer. I think it'll be big news on here when one is found that can be controlled! LOL

o

Westy you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you will be stuck with that vine forever. Nothing will kill it. Even Vine X didn't work for me. Just when you think you've succeeded in annihilation of the evil campsis it pops up somewhere else in your yard again and again and again..........
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here