Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to plant....

Posted by bunks Australia (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 6:06

Hi

I have a pergola with some grape vines covering it. I love the shade that they provide in summer and the sun in winter but we have a rat problem and the grapes are just another source of food for them so I want to replace them with a non fruiting vine. Any ideas? I think a wisteria would be nice, but can anyone suggest anything else? My area gets no frosts, but it can get days up to 40C in summer.

Ta,
bunks

PS do you think rats would eat flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to plant....

I found this excerpt from a website found by doing a google search:

Rats are omnivores. Among other things they eat seeds, fruit, grains, nuts, flowers, leaves, insects, birds, reptiles, fish, eggs and fungus. They consume about 1 ounce of food and drink about 1 ounce of water each day. Their strong teeth are able to gnaw through wood, copper, cinder block, aluminum, and uncured concrete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here