Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

One Ipomoea nil

poisondartfrog
11 years ago

I got busy and did not grow many this year, but self seeding plants made sure I did not miss out.

This flower is too big for it's own good but the colors are unlike anything I thought I planted.

My morning glory vocabulary is limited. How would I describe this pattern in Asagao-speak?

Alana

Comments (10)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If someone asked me to describe that bloom I would say it is a dilute fuchsia ray-flow (with some nice long streamers !) extending into a dilute turquoise outer limb...

I prefer scientific English (the Universal Scientific language) over traditional Japanese Romaji where English would render more accuracy over the (overly) poetic Romaji , where the Romaji quite often does not make for very good Science descriptors...

Emma's stock has been producing alot of rat-flows this season...

X-mas list (?)...

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Dilute fuchsia ray-flow" works for me, thank you Ron. The flower itself provides the poetry. I will be watching for seed development.
    Alana

• karyn1
    11 years ago

In colloquial English I say beautiful!

• littleonefb
    11 years ago

how about a beautiful keeper? simple accurate.

Of course you could also go with one simple word, WOW

Fran

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

Ron . . .
    Thanks for your detailed description on Alanas BEAUTIFUL MG. This helps me have a better understanding of some of this type of MG blooms I grow

Here is one that is 'similar' that I am growing this year

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago

Thank you Emma , it's nice to know that the relevant terminology to describe the patterns in a way that assists aspiring aficionados to understand and learn what they are seeing.

Just for The Record :

Alana asked :

" How would I describe this pattern in Asagao-speak? "

I did my best to answer Alana's question from the point of view that she was asking.

Yes, of course everyone / anyone can use whatever simple descriptors to express that they like the look of a flower...e.g., beautiful , lovely , wonderful Wow , etc and that is fine for simply expressing that you like the look of a flower.

Scientific terminology is required only if you want and aspire towards a more in-depth understanding of what it is that you like about the way that the colors are arranged in the many different types and forms of patterns.

There is a place for simple expression of liking something and that goes hand-in-hand with the Beauty of the Science of the patterns....and as always if anyone doesn't like the Scientific terms , then simply skip over any posts that do not interest you , just like anyone may skip over any images that are not to their personal liking.

There is another current 'movement' that proclaims that 'overly scientific' material discourages people from simple enjoyment of MG's (or other subjects) and this false 'reasoning' is a 'dead end' for any who buy into it...this forum is structured so that people can post simply or more in-depth as each individual see's most befitting....there is nothing stopping people from simple enjoyment if they are posting according to the rules of this site which allows for simple display of images in the Gallery or for discussion in the Forums designated for discussion...

Suppressing information is tantamount to suppressing people and that is what Police States do.

I will continue to lobby and for the appreciation of the Science related to Morning Glory's ( there really are others like myself who not only like and enjoy , but Want to be educated ) despite any 'anti- Scientific Inquisition' or any other type of 'oppression' .

One of the best aspects about this world (i.e. the Free World) is that everybody does NOT have to :

1) Enjoy anything in the same way.

2) Be the Same

3) Be free from oppression in any form...(can we expect the minimum of freedom at least in this forum ?)...and this IS a Forum for discussion of a subject , not just a gallery...those who would rather not even see any scientific info can certainly post to the gallery to collect any number of simple oooohhhs and aaah's...because that is what the gallery's are for...viewing and not much expression of cerebral thought...

I personally enjoy the Beautiful Science at least as much as the visual aspect , although I fully realize that I am still (after more than a decade of posting on the web) an oppressed minority...

There really is room enough for Everyone...

Please feel free to Enjoy your Morning Glory's anyway you want to / see most befitting to your own sense of Enjoyment (!)

cheers

Ron

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Emma,
    That is a terrific photograph-remarkable umbrellas shedding vibrant streamers of color.

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

Thank you Alana -

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Bee-U-Tee-Full

How's that romaji?

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago