Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where Have All The Honey Bees Gone?

Posted by arum 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 8:03

Have you seen any? All I see is Bumble Bees. It's so sad. What's killing them? :( Arum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where Have All The Honey Bees Gone?

Been seeing a few here in the north, not many though compared to past years. Lots of bumblers and carpenter bees. Tons of wasps of all kinds too!

o

Quite a lot of the honeybees have been wiped out by a variety of mites and other disease states. This has been in the news for several years now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Bee Demise

o

I have noticed as well the *total* lack of honeybees, and actually not very many bumblers around here and even the wasps are less than usual (yay!), yet I am still getting seeds from several plants and I know I'm not responsible for 99.9% of it (chocolate JMG may be the exception).

Arum's post got me to googling and I was very concerned, especially recalling that a great honey farm some 15 miles north of here closed down a few years ago; I remember talk a year before they closed about their bees getting a type of bee diarrhea and dying in the hive (they had a great glass observation hive in the middle of their little store, and it was *such* a great thing to bring the kids in to show-and-tell). It was sad that their family business had to close but their reasoning in fact was competition from bigger companies and overseas, and they couldn't make it.

At any rate, I'm not hoarding food yet... the link below is another perspective on the bigger picture of the history of honeybees in this country...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee not afraid... Slate article

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here