Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different morning glory bloom

Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 8:19

I have three different kinds of morning glories growing together on a back trellis, and when I went out one morning to check the blooms, I found a completely new bloom that had made an appearance. The first picture is the new bloom, the other two are pictures of the other morning glories I have growing together.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different morning glory bloom

Hi nkrz - I see at least 4 different types...

The 1st photo shows an Ipomoea purpurea that looks like it started out as a Star of Yelta,but picked up the trait for lightening on the distal area of the secondary folds...

The 2nd photo shows an Ipomoea purpurea typical for Granpa Ott's and the smaller light blue flower is an Ipomoea hederacea...

The 3rd photo shows Ipomoea purpurea Milky Way

I sent you an email via the GW system...

Talk to you...

Ron

o

• Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 13:03

That was the only flower that bloomed that way. The rest were all the star of yelta color.

o

I'm seeing the same thing as Ron.

In pic number 2, if you look right behind the small light blue Ipomoea hederacea, you will see some variagated leaves that are totally different in shape from the leaves of the "Grandpa Ott's flower". Grandpa Ott's has the typical heart shaped leave most people associate with morning glory vines.

The variagated leaf is typical of what I have seen with Japanese morning glory vine leafs as well.

Pic #3 looks identical to my neighbor's milky way morning glory.

Fran

o

I'm seeing the same thing as Ron.

In pic number 2, if you look right behind the small light blue Ipomoea hederacea, you will see some variagated leaves that are totally different in shape from the leaves of the "Grandpa Ott's flower". Grandpa Ott's has the typical heart shaped leave most people associate with morning glory vines.

The variagated leaf is typical of what I have seen with Japanese morning glory vine leafs as well.

Pic #3 looks identical to my neighbor's milky way morning glory.

Fran

o

• Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 8:34

I went out there this morning and saw another bloom like that, so what I will have to do is go out and mark the vine that has that bloom because I have all those different ones growing on the same trellis.

o

Marking the main stem of the vine is a good idea,but if the flower clusters are still emerging interspersed with the clusters of a different colored flower,then it is a very good idea to be sure to mark the clusters of the flowers to keep better track...

The individual stems supporting each flower are known as the the pedicel and the stem from the base of the group of pedicels to the axial area of the vine stem is the peduncle as seen in the photo here
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/nkrz/100_0290.jpg

I would suggest marking the peduncle(s) with a lasting marker of yarn or twine...
an excellent permanent marker can be made out of a pieces of a plastic straw...
1st cut the straw into sections of about 1/2 to 1 inch,then after placing a lengthwise slit into the straw section,simply push the straw band with the slit cut into it onto the peduncle...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here