Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeysuckle Not Growing

Posted by jmcnyc 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 9:54

I planted a honeysuckle in early june - and am trying to get it to grow up a trellis. It is not doing anything. See the picture. It is basically just the same as when I planted it. It seems healthy. I fertilized it a few times. Nothing happening. I was hoping for some coverage on the trellis for the winter months - but it is not happening. Any honeysuckle advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: See Photo of Honeysuckle here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeysuckle Not Growing

As with many perennials there's an old adage that goes like this: First year it sleeps, second year it creeps, third year it leaps.

Your vine is putting its energy into establishing its root system. Until then, you'll have to be patient. Based on your photo it looks like it is off to an excellent start.

o
RE: Honeysuckle Not Growing

Hi thersa2--- Thanks for the adage. My Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle is also off to a slow start like jmcnyc's after about three years. Two things though, the neigbors Boston Ivy is coming through on my side where the Honeysuckle is. Could the Honeysuckle be choked or crowded by another competing vine?
Also, even though it tolerates part shade like where it is could that be affecting its growth rate? It's more like dappled shade part of the day. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here