Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ron,-why?

Posted by arum 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 9:57

Ron, why do some of my Blue Silk MG's produce seed, and the others not? Also the Wisteria Tye Dye dosen't seem to be making seeds at all? Thanks, :) Arum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ron...learn how to do simple Morning Glory hand pollination

The lack of seed production on the JMG's is often the result of insufficient pollination which is compounded by the behavioral/structural problems seen in the reproductive parts e.g.,failure to fully mature and premature senescence(the anthers and/or stigma ages extremely rapidly,turns brown and is dysfunctional)...

Learning how to do simple hand pollination is very easy and very helpful...look for the anthers that are fluffy looking and loaded with pollen and transfer that pollen to the stigma of flowers that are not showing fluffy pollen...

A fine animal hair painters brush like artists use for fine detail works well for transferring ripe pollen...you can also use the pollen loaded stamen like a paintbrush held in a tweezers to 'paint' the surface of the receptive stigma...

Taking a closer look at the parts involved will open up an entirely new world of fascination as well as help with seed production...

Take a Good(!) look through Dr.Yonedas website...Read the entire Beginners Guide and become familiar with the most important parts...

Hope that helps to increase your seed harvest...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr.Yoneda's Morning Glory Encyclopedia database website

o
RE: Ron,-why?

Thanks for the great link. I think we are short of honey bees. :(

o
RE: Ron,-why?

Arum I was having the same problem with my Gypsy Bride which was one I really wanted seeds from. I tried the hand pollination and I think it might have worked. I'm seeing a swelling at the base of some of the spent blooms and they aren't dropping immediately after the flower dies. I just hope I have enough warm temps left for them to ripen. I might take it in (it's in a pot) and stick it under the HID lights in Oct if need be. My Moonflower vine did well inside over the winter under the grow lights.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here