Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baci_gw

MG ID help needed.

baci
18 years ago

Does this MG have a name? Thanks in advance.

Leaves

{{gwi:1345743}}

Flower

{{gwi:1345744}}

Comments (14)

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

WOW, Baci, I LOVE it! (If you have any extra seeds.....) Sorry, I don't know the name, maybe Arum knows. I love the foliage and the bloom. Very Lovely.

• ARUM
    18 years ago

It reminds me of Tye Dye, but I'm not sure, maybe Emma knows! Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,-pretty! :) arum

• baci
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have been getting feedback from other GW users that it may be Hanafubuki.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/85888/

However, it looks like there may be some crosses in the seeds I planted. Here is one that is white with a few pink markings:

{{gwi:1345746}}

Is this a double?

{{gwi:1345747}}

{{gwi:1345748}}

If so, should I use the crossbreeding method to try & get seeds true to type? I only have one vine of what I think is the double so I would have to use flowers on the same vine.

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/Introduction/htmls/43.html

These were all out of the same lot so I did not intentionally plant different varieties together. The leaves on the MGÂs are all mottled ivy leaf. The other leaves are a chayote melon & tree tomato.

• Garden_Momma
    18 years ago

Woo-owww. those are just beautiful!

Do you remember where you may have gotten the seeds (or plants)? Perennials, annuals? I know i've never seen anything like that on seed pack! I haven't got into any kind of methods. I just buy seeds and sow them mostly (unless collected).

Once again..Beeauuutiful!!!!

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Baci, you sure have some winners there! LUCKY you! :) arum

• baci
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Arum. Garden_Momma, I got them from a fellow trader  not a commercial package. I do not yet know if they are perennial, but I will try & keep it alive. In zone 10, sometimes I can do that.
    You guys sure are friendly on this forum. I have read some of the posts & I am so impressed with the civility & kindness displayed towards other members. ItÂs like a breath of fresh air.

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

Baci, did you do a trade with someone in China perhaps in 2003 or 2004? I have that too and that is where it came from for me. It was NOT what it was supposed to be though and I understood that his plant$ were grown in pots and NOT open pollinated so I was surprised. Actually I was disappointed because it was supposed to be one of those fancy ones that has a fully double blossom with white edges. The flowers on this one are quite huge, probably 5 inches across.
    Before anyone gets excited and asks for $eeds,I planted them close to a bunch of other vining plant$ and many other kinds of MG so won't be able to separate seeds with any accuracy at all. Sorry.
    spiderwoman

• baci
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi spiderwoman

I think my seeds were from a US trader who traded with the same person you did. The seeds I have were the offspring of the US trader. Are you saying your plants came up the same as mine? I think there may have been something in the lot called large flowered hybrid. Was this the large MG you are referring to?

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

Yes, I am saying that I have a MG that has the same leaf and the flowers are pink striped like your's. One of the plants has a really pale pink and the other has a darker pink. I am really disappointed that I didn't plant them farther apart so I could at least separate them. Sorry all. I did that trade with a man in China and got a few different sets of seeds with no names on them, only a small photograph of the parent plant and 2-4 seeds in each packet. I didn't plant them until this year.
    spiderwoman

• texaspuddyprint
    18 years ago

I get my seeds in original packaging directly from Japan. The color photo on the packet of JMG Hanafubuki Takii is hot pink with some small white specks and thin white streaks. Not sure if the bloom comes out like the photo as I didn't plant any this past season.

That first photo looks more like a pink tye dye candy cane??? It looks predominately white rather than pink.

However, it does seem to have more 'specks' and 'thin streaks' rather than stripes typical of the tye dyes.

By the looks of those other photos it also seems like you ended up with crossed seeds. Those other photos appear to have a second set of inner petals.

Not sure if that helps...

~ Cat

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Well,I have one similar to that , but it is a rose color. Very pretty! :) arum

• MicheleG
    18 years ago

Wow. Absolutely gorgeous. Wow.

• ruthann
    18 years ago

I have one in a hanging basket that I bought at Walmart late in the spring. $5. It had a name tag when I bought it, but it isn't in it now. Very pretty flowers.

• mamaspud
    18 years ago

Oh, wow, those are beauuuutttiiifulll!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville