Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
english ivy leaves browning suddenly

Posted by adp_abq 7b NM (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 18, 06 at 11:00

I have some english ivy against a wall in mostly shade. They've been there about 3 seasons. All of a sudden the leaves started turning brown and shriveling up and it started spreading to other plants. Anyone know the cause of this? The plants get regular water (soil is usually moist).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: english ivy leaves browning suddenly

Did you check near the base of the vines (whereever that might be in the ground) to see if they got cut somehow (maybe accidently weed-wacked or mowed or chewed)?

o

Are you sure it's getting no direct sunlight? I ask because you say 'mostly in shade'. My English Ivy got direct sun for half a day and started turning brown. I moved it back to complete shade and it seems to be doing ok. Also maybe the wall is becoming very hot and burning the leaves that touch it?

o

How did you get them to turn black? If you figure it out, post it - I have tons of this awful vine and would LOVE to kill ALL of it!

o

Kayjones, seems like you are somewhere in the northeast :)
In tropical climates, ivy is probably a fussy plant.
Adp_abq, another tip besides moving it in complete shade is to make sure it's roots are not exposed above the surface of the soil. In that case, you would need to put more soil and make sure the roots are covered.

o

• Posted by alys Zone 5 1/2 - MO (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 13:50

Hello! I've noticed the same browning/dying of my english ivy that is growing up a large oak tree in my yard. I have a large ant colony in that bed that I've never been able to eradicate and I was wondering if they could be killing it. It's about 3 years old and looked great until now. Could it be getting too much sun just because the leaves aren't out yet? It's been in the 60's and 70's here already, but this hasn't ever happened before!

And for those who worry so...I keep it clipped well back, never let it get big enough to flower and burn the clippings so they don't spread.

o
RE: english ivy dying

I have a well-maintained ivy bed in my yard -- used to be nice dark green throughout. Lost a large crab apple tree last year, now all the ivy that used to surround the tree (probably a 10-foot diameter circle, and seems to be expanding) is dead. I also want to remove some forsythia in the ivy bed and replant with something else, but afraid of killing the ivy. Any recommendations on how to revive the ivy and to prevent further loss? Thanks!!

o

• Posted by alys Zone 5/6 - MO (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 07 at 10:26

Today I noticed that my ivy has no leaves about 3' up the tree and the other 2-3' at the top still does, but it's not looking too good. The ivy at the base of the tree is also looking quite bad. I'm just not sure what to do with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here