Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria Drying out I think, HELP!!!!!!

Posted by tennfescue (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 11:00

I have two Wisteria vines growing up my new arbor/pergola. They were doing awesome even blooming in the middle of sumer when it was 85-90 outside. The last few weeks it has been in the high 90's (Chattanooga TN) and no rain (with a heat index of 110 or so). I have kept them watered but I might have missed a couple of days here or there. The leafs on the biggest fine are shirviling up and starting to dry out. I can squeeze a hand full of them and most will crumble in my hands. I have fertilized them and watered them again to try and help them but I am at a loss. I got these thing because everyone said they were next to impossible to kill but here they are drying up. Both vines are in full sun for about 80% of the day. I have set out a patio umbrella to give them relief from the sun making them exposed for 50-60% of the day. Am I right in assuming that the sun and high dry temps are the main reasons these things were doing so good but dryed up? And if so what can I do to gaurd against this besides be more dilligant in my watering plan?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria Drying out I think, HELP!!!!!!

For Starters, do not worry. That Wisteria could burn up this year and it will be back next year with a vengence.
Second of all DO NOT fertilize your Wisteria.
It does not need it. I have two mammoth wisteria growing on my arbor. You can keep watering, but they shouldnt need it, and the sun should not be a big deal either. I would try to lightly shower it as frequently as possible but not drench it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here