Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suseart

Lightest Color MG

suseart
15 years ago

Ron,

Since you are clearly quite the MG expert, I have a question for you. What would be the lightest and most luminescent morning glory to grow on an arbor in a moon garden?

thanks in advance,

~Susan

Comments (4)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    15 years ago

Hi Susan,

There are presently only a few species of night blooming moonvines and none are self-luminescent (as of yet) to human eyes...although some night pollinators can see into the ultra-violet spectrum...

There are several Ipomoea species which bloom at night including the following

Ipomoea adenioides - a rare upright bush form
    Ipomoea alba
    Ipomoea macrorhiza
    Ipomoea tuboides
    Ipomoea turbinata
    Ipomoea violacea

The Ipomoea alba is likely to produce the largest flowers and often with a pleasant fragrance...the degree of sheen which may be present can vary substantially with different strains and batches of seeds...

Hope that helps...

Ron

P.S. - I deny being an expert...'somewhat knowledgeable' sounds better...

I post informational answers and offer my 'opinion' 'here'n'there',but there are people who know much more than I do...unfortunately they rarely (if ever) post to this type of website...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea moonvines in the PlantFiles...

• suseart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, I will look into each one of those you've mentioned. I think, while it's great to be humble, you have obviously become an expert on vines, even to a vine newbie like myself. I told my husband that where Al is the soil expert, apparently Ron is the vine expert, which means we actually have another expert to ask these questions of!

When i told him what you said about our MG being clonal and that this was why we were having so much trouble finding pods, he was as relieved to hear a good explanation as I had been.

Call yourself "somewhat knowledgeable" if you want. We will still call you the expert, lol.

thanks,
    ~Susan

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Susan,

Ron gave you great suggestions for an evening bloom on the arbor.

If it where me, I would go with the Ipomoea alba aka moonvine on the arbor, but I would add a bit of a twist.

I would plant both the traditional moonvine as well as morning glory pearly gates.
    Pearly gates is a 4 inch pure white flower with a yellowish throat.

By combining both the moonvine that blooms in the evening and the pearly gates morning glory that will bloom in the morning to maybe midday, you have the affect of white flowers on the arbor just about all day and night.

Pearly gates is a large flower as well 4 inches.

Fran

PS

Ron, you may not think you are an expert and that "somewhat knowledgeable sounds better" but to "us amateurs" growing MG, you are the source of knowledge for us. You're "information and opinion" is pure knowledge and as close to an expert as we will find.

I still like calling you an expert as well.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: pics and info on pearly gates

• suseart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran,

THANKS so much! That sounds like a great idea for our arbor! This is what I was hoping for, and both you and Ron have given me great info.

I'm thinking you're not quite the novice either,lol, having been lurking for a while...:)

thanks again so much,
    Susan