Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet autumn clematis

Posted by dinajean upstate SC - Z7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 11:21

Will this grow as a ground cover? That would be great at the rate it grows, I have a large hillside and I need groundcover.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet autumn clematis

Any clematis can be used as a groundcover. Generally speaking, clematis do better if they are climbing over something as they can be prone to being eaten by earwigs and other nasties that like living under them. Might not be an issue with the hot humid climates that you garden in.

You might also want to consider Jouinana praecox as a ground cover. I have it growing on the ground and through a tree shaped variegated ligustrum and it has not seemed to be bothered by the usual bugs that like to chomp on clematis leaves and flowers. Sure isn't as invasive either. The stems will root if the area they are in is mulched and there is some ground moisture.

My pictures don't do just to the flowers and their color so have linked you to its listing on the Brushwood Nursery site for it below my pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery Listing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here