Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passionfruit Vine

Posted by mkb123 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 11:27

Hi- Have naively planted 2 passionfruit vines to cover a trellis then learned that this will not be nearly enough space for these ever-growing/stretching vines. How hard is it to transplant these? I do not want to kill them. I heard a speaker on the vine, and now am scared to cut back too much, but I have read here about people keeping them contained. I am planning on a 8-10 foot wide and 5 feet high trellis. The gentleman said that you get your flowers and new buds on the new growth, so if I needed to keep it cut back as it has nowhere to go, will I ruin my chances of its bearing fruit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passionfruit Vine

Well acquainted with this native, having imported it from the South, several years ago. The most impossibly invasive vine on my property. Worse than Bignonia or Trumpetvine.
Would always keep it potted, if I had to do it again.
Beautiful, but the fruit is small and too seedy to be of much value. Comes up 20 feet from original planting, but I let it edge my above ground pool and bloom. Sweet perfume not too pleasant to me, but people differ. I have the more unusual P. incarnata 'Alba'.
Maintain noncommercial blog at bogturtles garden at blogspot, and have shown photos recently.

o
RE: Passionfruit Vine

Which Passiflora is it? Passion fruit covers a lot of species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here