Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lookingglassgarden

Snail vine vs. Shell vine..whats the difference?

lookingglassgarden
18 years ago

Hello,

I recieved 'snail vine' in a trade. After foilage that just grew like crazy I am finally getting light pink to orange pink little single snail shaped flowers here and there and skinny green bean looking pods. I thought I would be seeing CLUSTERS of WHITE snail looking flowers. Can someone give me an opinion? Is there a difference between a snail vine and shell vine and which do I really have? Thanks!

Lookingglassgarden

Comments (15)

• Xeramatheum
    18 years ago

Vigna caracalla - Phaseolus caracalla They appear to be the same thing. They are also called snail shell vines! Perhaps that's the confusion. Someone abbreviated the common name.

X

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

is it also corkscrew vine?

• taylor_tx
    18 years ago

Cincinnata-
    I have some of the non-fragrant purple snail vine seeds I can trade.

Please click on my membername and email me. I don't always get back to a thread to see if there is a post...
    -T

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

cincinnata, thanks for the clarifcation! i would pick fragrance.

• thistle
    18 years ago

I must admit that I am rather disappointed in my snail vine.It has grown like crazy,but the flowers are tiny.I was expecting something rather spectacular but it guess it is not to be.I have the non fragrant one,so I don't even have that as consolation.boo hoo

• lookingglassgarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was disappointed in the show also, although the changing colors is pretty. Mine is non-fragrant also so it must be the Phaseolus Caracalla aka Snail Vine for sure.

• oldscpmedic
    18 years ago

I have the fragrant version and just like yours, plenty of leafy growth but not a single flower to date. Sorta disappointed as I have heard others rave about the plant....I do wonder if it will survive the winter as I hear some can/will??

• kayjones
    18 years ago

I have the fragrant corkscrew vine, and mine is over 20' long with about three clusters of nice-sized blooms.

• qemist_yahoo_co_uk
    16 years ago

Phaseolus caracalla and vigna caracalla are the same species. See eg http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?27562

Different cultivars of a species can differ considerably in fragrance and appearance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxon: Phaseolus caracalla

• myartichokeheart
    16 years ago

Horticulturists concur with Tim. The names are used interchangeably, but the plants perform very differently.

The fragrant one (which looks much frillier, and has different colors on each blossom) seems to have a short bloom season and be a bit fussy.

The lavender one grows here with great vigor (though it did not appreciate a week of 22*). The bloom is solid lavender, not as long and twirly, and I can't detect any fragrance at all.

The seeds are also different (explain THAT, taxonomists!)
    Fragrant Corkscrew Vine has flat black seeds 1/4" across.
    Lavender Snail Vine has tiny speckled brown bean-type seeds in 6" very skinny pods.

I just bought Corkscrew Vine plants on ebay and will keep them indoors over the winter. Maybe I'll discover something by spring. The foliage may look the same, but too much else is different.

The search goes on....

• viney123
    15 years ago

I planted a snail vine last year. It didnt do much last year but this year it has gone crazy. Its pretty much taken over the backyard. I would like to know what time of year Im supposed to cut it back. Is it too hot to trim it now?

• plemons-grower
    14 years ago

if anyone would like to trade or sell let me know ive looked for corkscrew & snail vines and i cant find them i would love to have some thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web

• karyn1
    14 years ago

The 1st pic is a Snail Vine (Phaseolus Caracalla). The 2nd is a Corkscrew Vine (Vigna Caracalla). The flowers are quite different but the foliage looks the same to me.

{{gwi:74573}}
    {{gwi:74574}}

• multramom_aol_com
    13 years ago

I would love some fragrant corkscrew vine seeds; please email me if you want to share thanks