Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dena_eft

I planted the "Noah" MG, am I in trouble?

dena_eft
11 years ago

You know, Noah is a red MG, and I'm sure it attracts the hummers, you think I'm in trouble? :) Arum

Comments (20)

• littleonefb
    11 years ago

Arum, my personal opinion, is YES YOU ARE IN TROUBLE.

Notice I am in zone 5 in New England, and this is the one and only MG that has been a thug in my gardens and a friends.

It wasn't a particularly nice looking flower in our opinion either, (my friends and mine). very small flower, and we never once saw a hummer on it, but do on our other MG.

The serious problem with Noah, is that it's seeds survive the winter, even up here, and there is just no way to collect all of them.

You not only have reseeds coming up all around the original vine, but we found them coming up the next year all over the place, in our yards, front and back, in the neighbors yards, middle of the lawn, in the cracks in the pavement in the street.

in other words, 100's of seedlings all over the place all over the entire neighborhood, and our yards.
    Both my friend and I had one vine growing in the back of the house, and it got fairly large, but the seeds, well the traveled everywhere courtesy of the birds, I assume.

I even found some vines growing a mile away in the parking lot of the town library.

If that wasn't bad enough, Arum, many seeds stayed dormant and they kept coming up year after year for over 5 years in both my yard and my friends. It felt like this horrible nightmare, horror movie or something.

In the end, we both had to grit our teeth and pretend that these seedlings where poison ivy and zap them with some roundup for poison ivy. Even then, it took another 2 years to get rid of all of them.

You're in a warmer climate zone than me, so you may have an even bigger problem with reseeds than we did.

A friend of mine had big time problems with Noah in California, similar experience that we did.

On the other hand, if you like the flower, don't mind the reseeds and don't mind pulling seedlings that may or may not pop up all over the place for years on end, you aren't in trouble.

For me, my friends, my neighbors, and those neighbors made me swear on a bible that I would never, ever plant that MG again as long as I live in this neighborhood, we'd all say, you are in trouble and pull the vine/vines now before you are in serious trouble.

Fran

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

UGH!!! Fran it is flowering as we speak. It's so hard to go pull it out,when I have been waiting for flowers all summer. Yet weeds and avasive plants have been a real problem for me, wild Carpet Bugle, along with wild Ageratum have taken over my garden. The thought of another invasive sends chills up my back. Arum

• karyn1
    11 years ago

You have opened the Pandora's Box of MG's and might never be rid of them. That and the I. purpureas reseed like crazy here and the seeds survive sub-freezing temps. I don't really care much for the flower, as Fran said, it's very small but the hummers here do seem to like them. I still rip them out when I see them. I have plenty of other flowers that the hummers and I both like. Good luck.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago

Well Dena - I see you are still in your love / hate relationship with the Ipomoea coccinea , which was 1st dubbed by the common name of 'orange noah' by the people at Horus Botanicals because they could not key it out properly due to certain inconsistencies in the 'professional' literature...

I told them it was Ipomoea coccinea but they just sort of politely ignored my ID because apparently the 'orange noah' appellation sold more seeds...as does most products with a catchy story that people 'want' to believe.

Dena - you've apparently been growing these 'orange' Ipomoea coccinea for 7 years now and you should be able to share adequately from your own experience as to whether you are in trouble or not for planting them again (!)

Just be sure my memory wasn't playing tricks on me a quick google search yielded the following :

Here are some of your posts from previous years :

Posted by ARUM 7 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 5:48
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg060954417023.html?55
    "I will be digging up the "Noah" till the cows come home"

----------------------------------

Posted by arum 7 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 8:24
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg0112470032543.html?18
    "Well, I have never seen a MG set seed like Noah, I'll probably pulling them out till the cows come home.
    Still, they are charming.
    You know, I've never met a MG I didn't really like"

--------------------------------

Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 6:52
    "Fran, now if we could get the bloom on that Noah to get to be a bout 20 times bigger, it would be a real winner, but guess we'll just have't to settle for it multiplying 20 time faster. :)"

----------------------------

Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 7:13
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg0213402010119.html
    "Even the Noah is really neat, but goodness is it invasive!"

-------------------------------

Tue, May 8, 07 at 18:28
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg0516333120540.html
    "Reminds me of that dang "Noah" MG!!! :0)" arum

------------------------------------

Tue, May 8, 07 at 22:13
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg052005518674.html
    "Well, I'm not an expert, but I've never met a MG I didn't like. Even the prolific "Noah" is beautiful.
    So what if they do reseed like mad? I love em! ":) Arum

----------------------------------------

Ipomoea coccinea is very similar to Ipomoea hederifolia with which it is frequently confused and mis-identified...

Live and Learn...even if we all have different things to learn in different ways...

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes. I grew the MG in 2007,and have kept the seeds all this time. Although I was able to rid myself of them, I seem to only remember how much I liked them, so here goes!!!
    Karyn and Fran, that may be why I have so many invasives, because I can't resist a wild flower, or especially a MG if it's one that attracts hummers. It's so nice to get feedback from some of the folks who were here when I was on the vine forum in 2007. This is where I received all the beautiful MG's I have now. :) Arum

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago

Dena - The 1st post here :

Posted by ARUM 7 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 5:48
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg060954417023.html?55
    "I will be digging up the "Noah" till the cows come home"

is from 2005 , so looks like you have have had the Ipomoea coccinea for even longer than you thought (!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea coccinea Arum post from 2005

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes,and can you believe the seeds still germinate? Unlike my Heavenly Blues,which were old seed also. Although I broadcasted the whole bag,not a single one came up this year. :)

• karyn1
    11 years ago

MG seeds can remain viable for an exceptionlly long time, even when stored in less then optimal conditions.

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

karyn,evidently some are more sturdier than others. I really need to post for some heavenly blues, my moms favorite. :) Arum

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WEll,--------- I ripped it all out, after I enjoyed the flowers of course! :)Arum

• suseart
    11 years ago

Dena, the important thing is that you planted Orange Noah and enjoyed it.Even if you decided to rip it out, you enjoyed the flowers. The real fun in growing morning glories is in actually growing them, and enjoying them.

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sueart, in you I have found a true kindred spirit! Yes, it's a joy to see any MG in the morning. :) Arum

• suseart
    10 years ago

Dena, I wanted to come back and read this thread. I planted the beautiful Orange Noah this past season and have loved it. I put it where it can really take over, lol, because I have a large property. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, and yes, we are kindred spirits! :)

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    10 years ago

suseart,

I planted the Noah last year, let it bloom like crazy,(it was beautiful by the way),and then ripped it out before the seeds could dry and drop. STILL it managed to send up a few runners, which I let go, and it turned into a lush vine. It's like Ron said, I have a love hate relationship with this MG. :) Again I got nervous and ripped it up after it bloomed out. I'm sure I will let a few grow again next year. After all, where else can you find a RED mg? Or is that orange? lol. It's nice that you have a big property, but for us with postage stamp yards I guess a little caution should be in order. I just wish I could figure out this Heavenly Blue MG. After looking all over for seeds, I found them in the dollar store. Although they given lots of sun, were thick and lush, not one single flower. Glad you enjoyed your Noah's. Can you believe all those seeds that form on that vine? :) Arum

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, my Heavenly blue MG put out a zillion seed pods,-too late. It was hit by the cold before one flower could open. Next year i will try to plant earlier. :) Arum

• gsweater
    10 years ago

"Just be sure my memory wasn't playing tricks on me a quick google search yielded the following :

Here are some of your posts from previous years :"

Ummmm... somebody is a creeper stalker. Yikes!

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

Dear gsweater - You mentioned:
    "Just be sure my memory wasn't playing tricks on me a quick google search yielded the following :

Here are some of your posts from previous years :"

Ummmm... somebody is a creeper stalker. Yikes!

-------------------------------------

Let me be very crystal clear about this for your benefit.

When I see something that has already been covered in 'previous chapters' I cite my on topic sources , which is generally considered to be Good Science, although I do realize that some may feel 'compelled' to other somewhat more 'humorous' conclusions.

I did a quick google on your name too (!), but I'm not interested in buying any sweaters or other clothes...

I have no clothes (or anything else) for sale but you can find some of what I have shared on Morning Glories here:
    http://tinyurl.com/kagzs8g

Yes, I 'stalk' repetitive or otherwise misleading / off-topic / essentially 'redundant' posts...

I haven't seen anything you have posted about Morning Glories yet...

Do you grow any Morning Glories or have something "on topic" regarding the plants mentioned in this thread to share (?!)...or just testing the posts for their definite enlightening Rorschach value (?)

• suseart
    10 years ago

lol, some things never change...

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

I won a gentleman's bet as to 'what' the motivation behind the posting of the slur (i.e. , stalker) was , & which is specifically against the AUP policy of this site and if any trolls haven't read it (the AUP) yet, I advise any to do so...

Further attempts to incite a breach of the Peace (or otherwise hijack this thread for off-topic personal reasons) will be reported immediately to the relevant staff moderator and we'll let them decide what is or is not in order.

I very much would like to see the threads and posts remain on topic , civil . peaceful and free of any negative innuendos from anyone looking to cause trouble , but I will not tolerate slurs directed towards me , nor should I...

...furthermore, any member who implies that I should simply accept any illegal negative slurs made against me without availing myself of appropriate recourse is to implicitly state that they fully support violating the AUP.

I apologize to Dena and any other members for the necessity of my recent replies , but there is a relatively small inter-connected group (inter-connected via mostly other sites) who (while wearing their masks of 'absolute innocence' ) insist on goading me into replying to their negativity and unfortunately sometimes they cross the line and get their jollies by forcing my hand...

This post was edited by ron_convolvulaceae on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 8:34

• littleonefb
    10 years ago

My goodness, gsweater and suseart. I just don't understand your posts.

gsweater,accusing a long time member, a well respected and extremely knowledgeable member of the vine forum of being some kind of "creeper stalker", is really out of line to say the least.

Apparently you are new to the vine forum on GW, but not knew to posting on other garden forums on GW.

Yup, I did a search of your member name on both GW and the vine forum and the only posts you have on the vine forum are on this thread.
    You do have over 80 posts combined on other forums though, so you are not new to GW or the rules of GW and the forums.

Apparently you either don't remember them or just disregard them when you choose to and post accusations about another member at will or your post was a provocative one, posted deliberately in an attempt to incite a confrontation with the member you accused of being a "creeper stalker" because of some kind of history you have with this member.

Based on your post, suseart, on this thread "lol, some things never change...";

Well it is quite obvious what both of your intentions where, and it is unfortunate that you both accomplished your goal of creating a confrontation for no apparent reason other than you both "tag teamed" with the desire to create a problem.

GW rules are quite explicit about this kind of behavior not being allowed or tolerated, but then again, you are well aware of that and apparently just don't care what the consequences may or may not be.

The kind of provocative post that you both posted have occurred in the past from other members, they seem to come around to this forum, every so often, and repeat the exact same kind of behavior as you just did.

They don't last long on the forums before the "powers that be", resolve the issues based on the rules of the forum.

Fran

This post was edited by littleonefb on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 17:08

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?