Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea Problem

Posted by bigeasy 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 12:57

I purchased a white and pink bougainvillea three springs ago.I planted it in good soil.I used Bougainvillea food.The first year it grew by double it's size and had blooms everywhere. The second year was another double.It handled a few frosts but started blooming with the beginning of spring.This winter the plant was hit with a three day freeze.I cut the branches all of the way to four inches from the soil.This summer the plant went everywhere. The branches we solid green and grew about four to eight feet in length.I did two things wrong. First, I cut them too far back and second I used Algoflash all-purpose.It is a great fertilizer by not for bougainvilleas.I roped all of the branches in two spots to stop it from laying on the ground. I have removed most of the leaves on two occasion only to find more leaves.I have not seen one bloom and for the last six weeks I have been using bouginvillea food. What can I do? I miss the flowers. Tommy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea Problem

It wouldn't flop so much and you wouldn't need to cut it back so much/often if you stopped fertilizing. The things do fine without any fert, only mulch. They are VIGOROUS plants when on their own. You're over-mothering it.

Jean, who gardened in SoCal for 30-some years

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here