Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Year-Round Vines

Posted by skiptomydarlin 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 3, 06 at 13:48

I would like to create a trellis screen on my balcony to block the view of my neighbors, but I'm not sure what kind of vine to plant. My main concerns are that it do well in a container (flower box) and that it provides a screen all year, even if it doesn't stay in bloom that whole time. I am most interested in morning glory/moon flower, or some form of honeysuckle or jasmine, but I'm not sure how well they would suit my needs. The location would get pretty good sun for most of the day (south-facing). Also, I live in Southern California (San Fernando valley) and have reasonably good weather year-round, but since I am just now undertaking the project, I'm afraid it's too late in the season to plant anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Julian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Year-Round Vines

• Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 5, 06 at 8:41

Morning glory/moon flower is an annual where I live. May be in your area. I don't know. Confederate jasmine is evergreen and has wonderful smelling, tiny white blooms. It's used often here. It's easy to grow in sun or shade. It has my vote. Fall is generally the best planting season, spring is next. However in your zone you could probably plant now if you keep pouring the water to it. Do a google search on the Confederate jasmine to see pictures.

o

In your zone passion flowers will bloom all year mine did for 2 years in zone 9.The lavender lady seems to be harder more frail than the red or sky blue.I also had honeysuckle bloom all last year here.But confederate jasmine does have the best smell just slow grower for me but easy to care for no pest and will take alot of water or drought very easy to please.

o

A vine that is evergreen here and has nice Spring flowers is the near jasmine relative,some species of Gelsemium. Perhaps sempervirens. I think one sort is called 'Margarita' and another double one called 'Pride of Augusta'. They are yellow flowered, odorless and eventually seem to get top heavy, but are glossy green in all but the coldest temps. Under ideal conditions Spring bloom can be spectacular but short lived.
Here in zone 7, the crossvine stayed green, so might be another choice.
Another evergreen that can have spectacular masses of fragrant white flowers briefly in Spring is Clematis armandi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here