Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shady_10b

Joining the Morning Glory club

shady_10b
9 years ago

Greetings GardenWeb community!

My name's Nik (short for Nikolas), and I recently joined these forums. I'm pretty new to gardening, or maybe I should say I'm pretty new to trying to garden competently, since I've dabbled in the past.

I have a special fondness for morning glories. Growing up, there was a long chain-link fence in my backyard covered in them, growing as true perennials in Southern California. They were the first things I wanted to grow when I decided to start container gardening on my apartment patio.

Of course, I was attracted to Japanese morning glories, and I'm not having much success with them. I started them in early June, after I was confident we wouldn't get the Santa Anas again for a while. The seedlings started off very strong, but not long after developing their first true leaves the vines started to languish. The leaves seem to develop brown spots which spread and eventually perforate; I'll post a picture of when the problem first started in a subsequent reply.

At first, I potted them in potting soil (I can't recall which brand exactly, but I think it was Miracle-Gro) with extra peat and perlite added (in about a 2:1:1 ratio). A drainage problem developed in at least one of the pots, although several of them had started showing the same brown patches. When I tipped the pot that had the worst problem over, I could see water pool on the side, so I know it was a severe drainage problem there, although I never did narrow it down to whether the holes in the pot were too small or what.

Last week, I replanted them in the same pots and soil, but with about 25% sand added to the previous mix. I also added a layer of small stones and gravel to the bottom of the pot even though many seem to believe it accomplishes nothing. I also filled their drainage pans with stones to raise them up a bit, and that along with the sand has probably made the bigger difference. I also top dressed the pots with gravel, partly to be more water-conscious but also because a friend said it would help deter fungus gnats.

It's been a week since replanting them, and as I expected most of them dropped their leaves in response, but I'm seeing new growth buds on a lot of the vines. A few of them look like they'll probably die off though, but them's the breaks (especially when you dive right in to something rather specialized). It seems like for now it's probably best to wait and see how they continue to respond to the new conditions, but I also thought seeing if anyone could offer general advice would be a good thing at this point. Not to mention introducing myself.

I haven't added any fertilizer/nutrients yet. At first I was watering them every few days, but I stopped when I saw the drainage problem. Now I feel almost clueless about when and how often I should water them. I've watered them once over the past week, besides the good watering they got after replanting.

They also probably don't get as much light as they would like. My patio faces north, and most of them are right behind a bunch of daylilies that are part of the apartment landscaping. Moreover, we've had a particularly grey summer this year.

I realize I've got less than ideal conditions, and if it's just not going to be practical to grown strong morning glories, I can accept that eventually, but not without a fight.

I was also wondering, on a similar note, what shade plants might grow well potted with morning glories. Maybe not the "showroom" quality JMG's, as they seem to require quite a bit more TLC.

PS: the photo attached is a view of my patio. Although it faces north, it gets a lot of reflected light from the large area of concrete and a broad, light-painted wall about 20 feet away.

Comments (8)

• shady_10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the very first time I noticed a problem. (note: the damage to the seed leaf on the right-hand side is something i did.)

• shady_10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another example of what's happening; again, some of the damage to the seed leaves was me (i nicked the seed a little too deep), but the browning developed after the plant seemed healthy.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Try to give plants more sun exposure, and only water when the plants tell you they need water (eg, leaf wilt). You can also tell the pot needs watering by hefting it on occasion. Water it when it feels light in weight. Try putting an inch of good quality plant based compost on the top of the container.

Welcome to this fun hobby, or to some, a way of life.

• shady_10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, shoot. Thanks, Gerris. The compost won't be a problem, and that's basically what I've been trying to do with water. Although knowing I have some wiggle room after they start to wilt a bit helps.

But, the sun. I knew it would be the problem when I started. I don't really have a whole lot more I can do. The apartment management is pretty up tight about... well, almost everything it seems. Even if I did try sneaking them into the open sun, it's a pretty highly foot-trafficked area, and I'd wager someone or another's kids would tear them apart.

I'll try to figure something out. I might be able to raise the pots another foot or so off the ground. And the right-hand corner of the patio can potentially get a fair amount more light than the rest, since the wall over there doesn't go all the way to the edge of the patio. Maybe I'll try both those things with one pot and see what sort of difference it makes. (From the perspective of not wanting to be claustrophobic when I go out there, I'm not sure I'd want to raise all four pots.)

Unfortunately it's just going to keep getting worse for me as the days get shorter. Compared to the actual winters most of you get, I have nothing to complain about. If this doesn't work out, I've still got a number of seeds, and I could try getting a few going strong indoors under grow lights.

• shady_10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's what I'm trying for the time being. This photo was taken around 4:30-5:00 yesterday. The sun drops below the buildings by 7:00 or so. You can see even without the extra height, they do get some direct sun in the late afternoon, but I can't be sure they'll be getting anything by mid-autumn. They'd also get the same in the mornings, but I don't think we've had more than a dozen clear mornings in the last two months.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

shady, we live in completely different climates. But for what is worth, I've grown MGs (nil & purpurea) in less than ideal conditions, with 2-3 hours morning or afternoon sun, dappled shade you name it. I get flowers, not garlands of it, but enough.

I think your main problem at this stage is overwatering. Give your vine sometime to develop a good root system. Then it will surprise you.

Just water it, when it feels dry. Follow Gerris's advice and you'll be fine. Also try reading anything by ron, on the vines forum. You'll learn a lot.

Here is a link to start you off:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea Nil

• shady_10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks true-blue!

I've been refraining from watering them lately. Unfortunately much of my patio gets watered each night by the sprinkler system. I think they're over-potted for the soil mix they're in, besides the limited sun. I think if i wanted to plant them directly into pots that large, it might have been wiser to start with a soil-less mix (at least that's what I've been picking up in the container gardening forums).

But who knows? I can't undo what I've done so far, so for now I'm doing exactly as you suggested: I'm only watering them when they've completely dried out, and I'm giving them as much time as they want to get going. The only thing I might try beyond this is getting some sort of wick (even just a thin length of rolled-up paper towel) in through the drainage holes to help pull out more moisture.

In the mean time I'm also hedging my bets. I've started germinating a couple new seeds at a time, and getting them going under artificial light indoors. If they get a really healthy start indoors, I hope to be able to acclimate them to the outdoor conditions later down the line.

Originally my goal was a moderately lush border for my patio, but even if my morning glories become healthy, I don't have huge confidence they'll grow to be that lush. I've been thinking about what I might do further down the line, and I think I might try to focus on growing them in smaller pots the way you see in Japanese flower shows, and bordering my patio with another plant.

In any case, thank you kindly for your encouragement, I definitely appreciate it! For me it seems like waiting is going to be the hardest part of gardening.

Cheers, Nik

• bogturtle
    9 years ago

Best laid plans gone awry.
    The red geranium died, just as the Heavenly Blue started into bloom, but it still looks good.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022