Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrinawitch

My Sweet Pea Saga

Katrinawitch
13 years ago

My Sweet Pea Woes...

Well, I tried sweet peas for the first time ever this year. I had both read and heard, in several places, that some people "have the knack" for growing sweet peas, and some just don't. I figured I'd give it a try, regardless.

I started them from seed, ordered from the Nicholls catalog. I received the seed packet in March, and was planning on starting them when I do my other seeds, in early May, but then I read that starting the seeds outside earlier works best, when it's still a bit cold out, so I prepared a container near my arbor, and planted a few at a time, a week or so between plantings. Well, here goes nothing, I though.

Then they sprouted! The seedlings were doing really well! Dang bunnies got a few of the vines that were within their reach, but the rest they left alone. They were beautiful! The vines were healthy, and then in late June I got my first Sweet Pea! A beautiful peachy cream color, and so fragrant! I was looking forward to the rest of them blooming..

Then we went on vacation, during the first week in July. My neighbor was going to water all of my outside plants, which he sort of did, but not nearly as often, or with as much attention to detail, as I would have. Add to that the 100+ degree weather we had that week, and when I got home, the vines were so droopy and sad looking. I tried to revive them, and they continued to grow a bit, but then nothing.

So I had one, yes one, sweet pea bloom this year. Will I try again next year? You betcha!

Comments (2)