Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddytoes1

Help! What is this vine/weed?

muddytoes1
10 years ago

This has been plaguing me for 6 years. Not sure if the home owner before us grew it on purpose or if it's a "weed" but either way its driving me crazy. It has strangled & choked out the roots of 2 if my climbing roses. And I have done everything from roundup to digging its root ball up - it's relentless! I'm afraid to let it grow to see if it flowers because of how aggressive it is. If anyone has any idea I would be grateful!

Comments (4)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Good luck killing this Campsis radicans. Do not allow it to make long whips like this if you want to eliminate it. Tough aggressive vines.

• muddytoes1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think it's a trumpet vine. The foilage is very similar but the shape of the individual leaves look different. That's what confuses me.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

That is definitely Campsis. And the behavior you describe is classic - cutting it back to the ground or even digging up the main rootball does not guarantee its removal. It can regrow from root shoots located at considerable distance from the original plant and they spring up very rampantly and aggressively and can persist in doing this for years before the thing finally loses strength and gives up.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

You can also put Roundup in a soda can, secure it to the vine so it doesn't tip over, cut the tip off a runner and stick it in the can. It will drink the Roundup and kill the roots and runners. Protect the soda can from getting water in it by putting a flower pot or bucket over it.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!