Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone grown hige red akahigezaki japanese morning glory?

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 15:44

I just got the seeds for this one.I hope this will be the first of many Japanese Morning Glories for me. I wondered if this one looks as beautiful in person as it does in pics? Any tips for growing this? I think I read not to give fertilizer. What about watering? I thought about waiting till spring, but I wonder if it would be OK, to just start it now in a pot, and keep it there with a tall trellis? Is there much trading for these on GW, I dont think I have seen much posted in exchanges for them, unless I just missed it.
Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone grown hige red akahigezaki japanese morning glory?

Hi Tammy

Wow a red one? I didnt know they came in red.. I have the white scarlet and pink.. I will the experts answer your questions... Neat to know there is a red one..:) Wishing you big blooms...Barb

o

How do you like your white scarlet and pink? Are those 2 different ones? Do these get very many blooms at one time?
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Hige

o

I have that one. It's more of a magenta then a true red. It looks just like the pic on the link you posted. I don't do anything different with this one then any of my others. I don't feed often and water when necessary. Honestly I pretty much ignore them. I would hold the seeds and start them in the early spring. If you start them now you probably won't get blooms and it's not a plant that grows well indoors without full spectrum grow lights. There's quite a bit of trading Japanese MG's, including the Hige varieties on the seed exchange. It's a pretty flower. You'll enjoy it.

o

karyn1, since their not hardy in my or your zone, do you winter over, or just let them die off in winter and start over?
Tammy

o

I let them die and start more in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here