Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing a vine DOWN a wall

Posted by dimitrig SoCal z10a/21 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 15:49

I have a cinderblock wall that separates my house from my neighbor's driveway. The wall is very unattractive so I would like to grow a vine on it - maybe something like Boston ivy or creeping fig. I am not sure.

However, when the wall was construced (it was here when I bought the house) it was placed just an inch or two on my property line. This is good because it means it is my wall and my neighbor can't object, but it's bad because there is no soil between the base of the wall and my neighbor's driveway.

It doesn't make any sense to jackhammer away an inch of soil to plant something there and my neighbor will probably kill it anyway (on purpose or accident) by running into it.

So are there any vines/plants that I can plant on MY side of the wall to cover it that will then grow DOWN the side of the wall facing my neighbor after reaching the top? I think I have seen ivy and creeping fig do this which is why I mention those.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing a vine DOWN a wall

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 16:04

Is the area in full sun?

o
RE: Growing a vine DOWN a wall

How does it matter? (Not snarky, just curious.)

Anyway, it is a west-facing wall so about half a day of sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here