Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't get my morning glories to go to seed

Posted by titanhockey02 Ohio (legbreaking101@sbcglobal.net) on
Sun, Aug 12, 07 at 16:03

Last year I got some morning glory seeds and got them planted this year in this cedar planter box with a trellis attached to it that I built. The two plants are doing great and blooming profusely... this morning there was over 20 blooms on it! The one thing that is frustrating me is I can not get it to seed! I don't know if there is something I should be doing or what. Does anyone have any pointers on how to get seeds from it? After the blooms fade and what not, it looks like a seed pod is starting to develop but then in a day or so it turns brown and falls off. Is there something I am doing wrong? Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Thanks,
Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't get my morning glories to go to seed

I am having the same problem with an heirloom MG called "summer skies". It is a paler blue than "heavenly"and blooming wonderfully,but won't set seed.I have a small flowered yellow called ipomoea lutea that has produced so many seeds i was afraid they would be coming up for years.

o

I think the one I have going is the heavenly blue. I have a lot of seeds that I didn't plant this year but was really hoping to get some so I have some fresh ones. Anyone have any ideas??

o

The only variety that I haven't seen any seed pods on is my Gypsy Bride. Of course this is the one that I most want seeds from. lol If I don't get any pods by the time the temps drop I'm going to winter it over inside. Hopefully it will do ok. My Moonvine flowered beautifully throughout the winter under HID lights.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here