Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmony_alana888

Weird cucumber?

harmony_alana888
13 years ago

My husband and I planted cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe and out of curiosity a package that just said melon (that's Wal-Mart for you) that was supposed to be very sweet. We planted in early April since we've had an unusually warm to hot spring and summer this year. Our cucumbers come up right on time and have been producing all season. The melons on the other hand have not come up at all. Which is strange since we first started seeing flowers a little over three months ago. We had a problem with groundhogs all year but set live traps, caught and released them elsewhere in the wild a little over a month ago. Since then our garden has thrived. We've harvested almost everything that is due so far and our melon plants are flowering again, many with small ovaries. Yesterday though we found a melon about the size of a cantaloupe but with color and texture of a watermelon only with long ribs down the length of it and it was more oblong shaped (like an extremely large pear). It looks like a honeydew melon on the inside but tastes like a cucumber. Just like a cucumber! Does anyone have any ideas of where I've gone wrong with my melons? Or is this an extremely large or morphed cucumber? I have pictures for anyone that would like to see it.

Comment (1)