Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this vine?

Posted by jeanwedding 6 ky (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 18:44

Hello all
Plenty of this vine around...
Please can yall tell me what it is...??
I know the round one is variegated vinca which I planted somewhere around here and growing too proficient
Thanks all
Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this vine?

when I submitted and added more text it did not save pic... so here trying again,yall
Jean

o

Looks like some kind of Parthenocissus.

o

Possibly with Smilax (the other plant with single leaves.)

o

Virginia Creeper? (Or, as I usually say, creeping virginia)

o

Virginia creeper is a common name for Parthenocissus.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 14:03

It would be nice to include the common name with the
Scientific name. Not every one has time to memorize the Scientific names to all the families of plant they know or grow.

o

Not every plant has a common name. And it doesn't take any more time to learn the correct botanical name of a plant than it does to learn the common name.

Besides, there are many common names associated with Parthenocissus, depending on species - Virginia creeper, Boston Ivy, Japanese creeper, Chinese creeper, woodbine, sliver vein creeper, seven leaf creeper, false poison ivy. Unless one refers to plants by their botanical names, how would we ever know what plant we are talking about?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here