Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm in Love with my Chocolate MG

Posted by smokymist 6B EastTN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 18:47

I think I've wondered all over Gardenweb over the past 4 or 5 years and never posted here. Well where have I been ? lol. I am so loving vines right now, and wanted to share some pictures. Also ask a question....my Chocolate Silk morning glory is not producing seeds. This is my first year for growing this particular MG, and I can't seem to stop taking pictures of it !! As far as the seeds go...I know what to look for, have collected MG seeds for years, but this one is not producing, any ideas ?

Chocolate Silk Morning Glory

All this from 4 seeds. Chocolate Silk

Double Blue Clitorea Pea Vine

Japanese Picotee Morning Glory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm in Love with my Chocolate MG

• Posted by deeg z9 - St. Pete, FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 20:07

Oh My, what a beautiful flower that Chocolate Silk MG is!!
And the others are quite beautiful too! Congratulations,
Dee

o

smokymist - It is often the case that the larger flowered MG's need a helping hand for adequate pollination...the anthers and stigmas of the hightly bred MG's often fail to develop completely and/or show signs of premature senescence...

Learning to do some simple hand pollination is a very good idea...

Look for anthers with pollen that is very fluffy looking...
use a tweezers to carefully remove part of the stamen so you can use it like a paintbrush to place pollen onto a healthy looking stigma...
the healthy stigmas should look to be 'enlarged' and a nice light healthy color...
any stigmas that look browned/discolored/ and very small are most likely not functional...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

o

smoky
The chocolate silk mg's are absolutely beautiful!!!
Hope you eventually get some seeds!!
Where did you get the original 4 seeds?

o

That chocolate silk is a knockout! Im getting some!

o

I have never heard of chocolate MG's before but I sure think yours are just beautiful. Can seed be purchased anywhere or does it have to be ordered?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here