Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hungryfrozencanuck

Planting rootbound concord grape - now or dormant

I usually plant bare root but saw a nice 2 year old potted concord grape at the garden center with 4 feet of growth on it for a cheap end of season sale. It is in a 1 gallon pot and is fairly rootbound. I can get a bare root concord in the spring but for $8 I thought I would just try seeing how this one would do. It is going into fairly heavy clay soil.

Should I plant now (still getting some 26 degree C days (79F) and just score the rootball. Should I plant now and separate out the roots. Should I wait for dormancy in the fall and plant then either as scoring rootball or washing out the potting mix and planting more "bare root". Other?

Below is some extraneous info on my grape success thus far.

So I am in 4a/b Canada on a lot with alot of clay soil. I'm slowly adding fruit plants and whatever lives I keep and whatever dies goes.

I am expanding 2 rows of table grapes. Planting 8 feet apart and growing in a Geneva double curtain. So far I have Somerset, Polar green, Reliance, Pink pearl, Earliblue and seedless concord.

All were planted bare root. The Polar green is growing like gangbusters with Somerset Pink pearl and seedless Concord near behind. Earliblue is struggling but it does have standing water for a couple weeks in the spring so I expected it. The Reliance did not survive the first winter (was not a great looking plant from the start).

Everything is only in the 2nd year so no grapes yet.

In the spring I will be adding Montreal Blue, Petite pearl, Catawaba and another trial of Reliance +/- Concord depending on peoples views on if I plant 1 this fall.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz