Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria

Posted by greenlydia Washington (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 07 at 20:51

I grew a massive Wisteria vine up the side of my WOOD house which I know is a bad thing. I grew it from a seed a friend gave me, never really thinking it would amount to much, but when it reached 30 feet, I knew I had planted a magic seed! Our insurance people came out and the first thing they said was that the Wisteria had to come down or they would cancel our policy! The Wisteria WAS doing damage to the shingles......sending shoots underneath and causing them to pull away, but the insurance company said it was a huge fire hazard. Whatever. I waited until it had finished blooming and then with hanky in hand, my husband took his chain saw (yes, the trunk was that big!) and down it all came. That was two years ago and what was left was just this massive intertwined pair of stumps. I didn't get around to digging them out that year but I was sure it was dead. To my utter surprise, one of those trunks is now putting out a huge amount of new growth and I've got Wisteria vines growing 25 feet out into the yard as I'm doing all I can to keep them off the house. Boy I can be long winded at times and all I would like someone to tell me is WHEN should I transplant this beauty to a new home away from the house with an arbor all its own? Is it too late this summer? Should I wait till Fall or Spring? I can't believe it came back but I do believe the insurance company will.............Any and all advice is really welcome! Thanks so much in advance.
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here