Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clematis vs american wisteria

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 20:56

I bought an american wysteria a few months ago and a clematis maybe 6 weeks later. The American Wysteria has taken off and is doing really well. The clematis in comparison, not so much. Is clematis maybe just a slow grower compared to American Wisteria?

Tx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis vs american wisteria

adding a new message as I don't think I initially checked the box for replies to come back to me... ;-)

o

Most vines take around 3 years to establish and put on lots of growth and flower well. It is just a testament to wisteria's robustness that you are already seeing a lot of growth (an established wisteria can put out 20-25' of growth in a season).

Yes, most clematis varieties are MUCH slower growers than any kind of wisteria.

o

Thanks Gardengal.

So far the clematis just has two long-ish vines coming from the main stem at the soil line. These two long-ish vines haven't grown much in the past few weeks or developed any offshoots to speak of. As a result there's no bushy-ness like the wisteria has.

I am generally inclined to cut stems back in order to promote bushy-ness vs a boring 'leggy' look...not that I'd necessarily cut it back just above the soil line but....do you think I could cut back the long stems just a bit..over a pair of leaves...in order to stimulate more offshoots?

Or should I just wait to see what happens next Spring...sometimes I think plants that look a bit paltry one year...the next year they can often come back with a resurgence, yes?

Tx!

o

Absolutely!! Clematis should be pruned back hard for at least the first two growing seasons. Whether you choose to do it this fall or at the end of winter is your choice. And by "hard" I mean to the second set of buds above the soil level.

o

thanks so much. I don't think I had that in my how-to notes for clematis!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here