Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MG's.... never again

Posted by moonie_57 8 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 21:23

I started lots and lots of seed late winter and was thrilled to finally plant them out. Got them on both sides of my porch, trailing on the lattice work, got them in pots growing on tomato cages and also along my back privacy fence. They're just starting to blooming really well, but I barely get to enjoy them. DOH! They're called MORNING glories. I do love my moonflowers though and enjoy them almost all night long. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MG's.... never again

your right. they should be called earlymorning glories.When the sun hits them they fold like a bunch of wimps!

o

If I could force myself out of the house before about 11 AM, I might get some enjoyment out of them. However, I am a night person so never should have even given MG's a thought. What was I thinking?

o

True... but what a good reason to get out of bed and a great way to start the day: a nice cup of coffee, the morning cool and those beauties.
I look forward to September when they stay open a little longer in the cooler weather.
George

o

So .... if "When the sun hits them they fold" does that mean they would do best facing a certain exposure? I have mine on a white wall that faces southeast. Do the flowers also "face" the sun, like sunflowers do?
BlueBars

o

There are no reasons to get out of bed... not until I've had my 6-8 hours, and since I'm a night owl, that's not until at least 10 AM, or later if I've stayed up later :)

2 good questions, BlueBars

o

bluebars, it is weird that the need a sunny location,but can't take the sun long.LOL. I still like them, though. They are very inexpensive entertainment.

o

Certain strains of Ipomoea purpurea and some other species tend to stay open for most of the day and/or for several days...

Ipomoea indica and Merremia dissecta usually remain open for several days...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Merremia dissecta in the PlantFiles...

o

Ron, I have ipomeea lutea, which is yellow and stays open all day, but the flowers are very small ad not MY idea of a real morning glory. very prolific though.

o
RE: MG's.... never again...try some different types...

nucci60 - Yes,the Ipomoea hederifolia var.lutea is on the small side and perhaps best appreciated when planted en masse...

The Merremia dissecta and Ipomoea indica are both several inches in diameter...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea indica in the PlantFiles...

o

Mine stays opened all day long!

o

Good ole heavenly blue stay open well into the afternoon. Many Japanese varieties do too!! My Kohkan stayed open until at least 3:00
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Hmmmm... my Heavenly Blue do not look like that, nor do they stay open later into the afternoon. They aren't fringed with that lighter color. I must have gotten some labeled wrong, maybe. Or, would my hot humid weather have anything to do with it? It's 95 to 100 every day.

o

Ronnie, that's a nice picture of your Kohkan; that may be what my fuschia JMG with variegated cicada leaves that's producing seeds daily is. It too stays open the longest of the MGs in my yard. I just started hand pollinating the chocolate JMG, hoping that gets some seed pods going. Only got one pod from the purple streaky one so far, hand pollinating that one as well. Now I have a pale pink JMG that I hope gives up some seeds. It has become an addiction of sorts.

Moonie, I understand your plight. I'm naturally a nightowl; the younger kids are doing their best to change me in that regard so I have to get up earlier than I'd like some mornings, and I despise the heat right now when even mornings aren't cool. But I'll keep it up with these, they're too pretty and easy to give up on.

I can handle seeing them just 30 minutes a day. I don't have a lot of time to gaze out the window anyway. ;-)

Terri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here