Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moonflower stopped blooming

Posted by Need2SeeGreen Los Angeles/hot!!! (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 21:33

hello!

My moonflower has stopped blooming. It only bloomed for a month or so. It has been very hot here lately, also, it has grown to the top of the teepee and maybe it has gotten bored. (I am trying to figure out how to get it to climb a wall.)

Does anyone know why it won't bloom anymore? It is setting a ton of seed ... but I want more flowers!!!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
remove seedpods & phosphorus re-initiating Glory flowering

When the plants set alot of seedpods , it sends a signal to the plant that it doesn't need to produce more flowers , as much as finish developing the seeds...that is how the plants survive...

You could try cutting off some or all of the seedpods and use some (phosphorus based) bloom booster...make sure you water the plants...

There is no guarantee that the plants will resume flowering...

There are some people who start plants at different times and this may allow some plants to continue to bloom after the 1st series has finished , although it is mostly the gradual shortening of the day-lengths that causes the initiation of flowering...

You could start a whole new series of plants but will they have enough time to flower (?)...alternatively you could root cuttings from the current plants and provide the required care until they are ready to place outside and these cuttings may flower as it is the new root system that will allow the flowering...the old root system has already received signals from the seedpods that no new flowers are required...

So , there's a variety of suggestions or at least info and some Food for Thought...

regards,

Ron

o
RE: moonflower stopped blooming

Thanks!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here