Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Controlling Morning Glory height

Posted by carl-in-nh Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 22:04

I have a couple of MG that are climbing up a fishing line to the top of my porch.

Not sure if I will just let them keep going up to the gutter and roof. (I might, just to see what happens, I'm actually impressed with these things).

However, is there some practice where people cut back these things to control the height ? Eg. trim off the top segment ? (And does it leaf and flower out more if you do)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Controlling Morning Glory height

You can prune an MG any time from the top or anywhere along the vine. All it will do is cause the vine to shoot stems off below where you pruned the vine.

From my experience, it depends on when you prune the vine down as to how much it will leaf out and bloom more.
In otherwords, if you have a long enough growing season, and you do it now, it will fill out more and bloom more.

Since our weather has been so crazy all spring and summer, only time would tell if you get a bushier vine and more blooms.

Either way, though, you will not harm the vine.

Fran

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here