Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20077913

Morning Glory identification

User
9 years ago

Hello! I'm new here but I've been visiting this site for years as an observer and thought it was time to finally join.

My passion is morning glories but I don't know enough about how to identify unknown ones I have seeds for. There's a lot of varieties and just as much conflicting info online so I've gotten stumped on several. I'm hoping someone could jump in and help me put names to my unknowns. Any helpful tips on identification in general or proper terminology is also appreciated. Thanks!

First up: I have 2 different vines with pale pink flowers that are identical but came from different seeds (1 light beige, 1 black-brown). I've seen both the names Pink Star and Pink Rambler associated with this look.

Comments (11)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Next up: This one seems different from other pinks I've seen around, having a lovely dusty rose sort of color. It was from a small black-brown seed.

BTW, sorry I'm posting multiple times I didn't seem to be able to put multiple images in one post.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Number 3: This one seems almost exactly like Light Blue Star only several shades darker and from a small black-brown seed (as opposed to a beige one). Another post I planted the same seeds on even had a shade slightly darker again.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Number 4: I have not grown this one yet but as I just bought the seeds and the person I bought them from didn't know the name I'd like to know what it might be. Whatever it is, it's gorgeous and I'm sure looking forward to growing it! It's a bit different in the other pictures I have so let me know if I should post those too.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    9 years ago

Hello - The 1st 3 photos are all Ipomoea purpurea.

The 1st photo looks to be a very pale "Pink Rambler" .

The 2nd photo looks to be a mauve color and doesn't seem to exactly fit any of the traditional cultivars.

The 3td photo shows a light blue Ipomoea purpurea with a darker blue star pattern and other than referring to it as a light 'Star of Yelta" type, I don't think it has a particular cultivar name.

The 4th photo is an Ipomoea nil and is a blizzard pattern looking the closest to "Hama Ginga" , although not an exact match.

I hope that is of some help.

Thanks,

Ron

P.S. - I would be interested to communicate with you via private message , although you don't have the 'send me an e-mail' enabled when I click onto your homepage , so, could you enable you message feature or click onto my homepage and send me a message as I would like to share somethings that I prefer not to post...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Ron!

From looking here and on D'sG (can't say the name apparently) I figured it might be you who'd have some ideas! Thank you for responding.

Funny that you likened the 3rd photo to a light "Star of Yelta" type. That's exactly what we said when we saw it for the first time. Color-wise it seems to sit about halfway between our Star of Yelta and our Light Blue Star - it's very pretty in it's slightly darker form too.

The person I bought the seeds of photo 4 from and I could only come up with Star of India for that one though neither of us were really convinced that was what it was.

I've changed my settings and I will be interested to hear from you but I hope I haven't now made my email addy completely public.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I'm curious about the blizzard pattern. Is this a reference to any morning glory variety with the lines (sometimes called flaked) like "Flying Saucers" or Aomurasakizyouhatensibori?
    And speaking of that last one I mentioned...is there an easier known or common name? It's a bit of a mouthful as is.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also as to my first picture of the pale pink flower, if the one with the beige seeds is Pink Rambler, what is the one with the dark seeds that looks identical? Is it also Pink Rambler or does it go by a different name?
    Why would there be two different color seeds? I always thought that was an identifying feature that would help me figure out what I had...maybe not?

• ron_convolvulaceae
    9 years ago

A Blizzard is one of the 12 basic patterns that show up in all of the Japanese Asagao and is (so far) only seen in Ipomoea nil.

The color of the seeds (especially in cultivars) can sometimes vary and although frequently a helpful indication as to the identity of a cultivar , it is not absolute.

---------------------------

Sure wish you could somehow manage to tag the maroon-ish colored I.purpurea plant blooms with a piece of yarn and send a couple seeds my way...be nice to have a few seeds for next season without waiting a couple of years for verification grow-outs...

Thanks so much for your insightful questions...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ron for all the info! I found a chart about those 12 patterns but there's so many similar ones that I can only gather some flowers fall under several of the patterns.

And thank you so much for the trick about marking the flowers! I hadn't thought of doing that to keep track of my mixed ones for seed saving. Wish I'd known sooner but it's sure going to help me from here on.

As for sending you seeds there are a couple possible issues there. First and foremost, I'm in Canada and I was under the impression I couldn't send seeds to the US (nor receive them but I've seen varying things about that). Second, I haven't had a bloom that color for awhile now and I can't be sure I'll get more that I'll be able to tag. Third, I have no idea if the seeds will actually produce the color you want as I'm growing multiple varieties near one another. Wouldn't want you to be mad at me for sending untrue colors. This color didn't show up last year and I'm using seeds collected from last year's flowers, plus cross-polination is certainly possible in my set-up (I guess that could be a factor for how I even got this color).
    But if you don't care about the color possibilities and I manage to collect enough and you can find me the legal answer about sending them I'd be happy to send you a few seeds (assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg).

• ron_convolvulaceae
    9 years ago

Here are some of my thoughts and replies relative to the issues you mentioned :

You mentioned :

"First and foremost, I'm in Canada and I was under the impression I couldn't send seeds to the US (nor receive them but I've seen varying things about that).

Second, I haven't had a bloom that color for awhile now and I can't be sure I'll get more that I'll be able to tag.

Third, I have no idea if the seeds will actually produce the color you want as I'm growing multiple varieties near one another.

There is almost never any guarantee about any open pollinated plant colors

Wouldn't want you to be mad at me for sending untrue colors."

I would prefer seeds be collected from the seedpods be collected from tagged blooms , but as long a a trader honestly sends me seeds from the tagged blooms / pods , I wouldn't be 'mad' at the trader, I only get angry at dishonesty or blatant disregard for an agreement.

"This color didn't show up last year and I'm using seeds collected from last year's flowers, plus cross-polination is certainly possible in my set-up (I guess that could be a factor for how I even got this color)."

You might have missed the color in last years crop....it's possible...

Two dark haired parents can produce a blond haired child , the blond as a parent can produce another blond child if the genes match up from both parents.

"But if you don't care about the color possibilities and I manage to collect enough and you can find me the legal answer about sending them I'd be happy to send you a few seeds (assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg)."

The USDA and associated agencies and their equivalents in some other countries ideally want "phyosanitary certificates" provided with seeds , but practically , phyto's can cost up to several hundred dollars, which means that large companies can afford to do supply phyto's , but it renders the common gardener helpless except to be much more dependent to only be able to get their seeds from large companies.

The majority of small companies have already been purchased and owned by MONSANTO and / or MONSANTO's subsidiaries...look it up...

Monsanto is NOT interested in preserving anything , not the environment , native plants or native habitats.
    Monsanto is interested in advancing their own agenda.
    The USDA unfortunately and for 'reasons unknown', ALWAYS backs whatever agenda of Monsanto's...including the
    built-in pesticides, terminator pollen, bee killing pesticides and herbicides, no GMO labeling, etc...seems they are seriously against any type of self-sufficiency...

The other alternative is to apply for a small lot's of seeds permit, but, this permit will only allow you to import seeds from companies with a legal license to sell , not from a non-licensed gardener or even an e-bayer without a nursery and sales license.

Technically the package could be confiscated , although the laws are somewhat 'grey' and small packets of less than 50 seeds per type typically pass customs without any difficulties.

There are certain seeds which are almost always allowed into the USA and Canada and these include Ipomoea alba , Ipomoea nil and Ipomoea purpurea.

The packages I send are always registered (not just certified) and I label the seeds Ipomoea purpurea inside the package and on any customs declaration form.

I mail the package and let the postal service and customs handle it from there...

I've never failed to receive a package and any packages I send have never failed to reach the destination.

Should there be a concern about postal costs, depending on the particulars of a situation , I may or may not choose to forward postage costs in advance.

It sounds like your situation is very ' iffy' , so I would probably be inclined to pass on the seeds for now...

Thanks for your questions

regards,

Ron

This post was edited by ron_convolvulaceae on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 5:10

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, that's fine. :-)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews