Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria bush

Posted by gils zone 4 or maybe 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 08 at 23:08

We will be moving to another house in Sept. We were there today and found out that the big bushy thing in the back yard is a wonderful wisteria. It has not got anything to ramble over so I assume it was left to do its own thing . The house is empty so i cannot ask the owner about it. Neighbours told me it is out of control and needs attention. I have a wisteria at my present home but it has something to grow up. Not sure how to go about pruning this monster. It has flowers on now tho not to many. Wont be able to do anything till we take possesion on sept 22 so probably early oct will be when we can get at it. Ha s anyone any suggestions please. I love Wisteria and I am delighted that there is one at the new place and it is an oldie, not planted last year for sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria bush

I notice that you live in zone 4 or 5. I live in zone 5, so we have somewhat the same climate. One way to begin would be to wait till November, or later, when the leaves are off your wisteria. Then you can see what the main structure is. You could begin by pruning lots of the lower side vines and begin to create a lower trunk of sorts. That way next Spring it won't be so out of control, but you will not have pruned off too much and you'll still get blooms. This would be a time also (late Fall) to place some kind of support on it so it can begin to be a climbing wisteria.

o
RE: Wisteria bush

If you have the room to let it ramble you could actually leave it as a sprawl.

I've seen one in a local front yard that does just this. It looks like some sort of draped dragon and it is glorious in both spring and autumn.

The new sprouts are kept under control and the trunk/stem has been allowed to thicken into a lovely framework without a lot of cluttering.

It measures about 20'x10' and has been there for many years. It's probably a Japanese Wisteria.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here