Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Year 3 and failing

Posted by rodco zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 23:28

I planted (2) Wisteria in 2009.Both plants bloomed this spring and were doing great until about a month ago.
One of the plants took a turn for the worse and started losing its leaves. Now its all sick looking, the other one is flourishing. They are in the same soil, same watering and same sun exposure.
Should I cut it down?

augwist2

augwist1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Year 3 and failing

Yes - cut them back to the SIXTH node from each trunk - it will go dormant for a while and re-flush.

o

Not necessarily :-)

Wisteria is sometimes prone to a very sudden and rather rapid dieback, which is usually fatal. Just Google 'sudden wisteria death' and see the number of hits that turn up. Usually it some sort of root rot, like phytophthora or honey fungus (Armillaria spp.). But similar symptoms can be the result of significant drought as well.

I would certainly cut it back hard but no guarantees on how well it will respond.

o

• Posted by rodco zone 5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 23:56

well.I went to cut back the wisteria today and when I got near the bottom, the main plant just pulled out of the ground. The stem was all soft and rotten... Hope my other one does not do that.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here