Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osakawebbie

How does a climbing post get moisture?

osakawebbie
15 years ago

I recently "started over" with two pots of pothos using a number of cuttings that were rooted first in water and are now happy in soil. I am thinking of trying to train them to climb, by putting moss on bamboo or other poles (for one of them, I already have a great bamboo lattice-like thing; the other is simple sticks at the moment - see this post for lots of photos). Discussions I have found about "totems" talk of the moss holding moisture that the aerial roots pick up, but nobody mentions putting water on the totem itself, just into the soil. How does the totem get moist? Am I supposed to water it somehow?

Comments (4)

• kayjones
    15 years ago

It gets water by 'wicking'. Actually, the pole doesn't need water - the plant gets water from the soil in which it is planted, providing you water said soil.

• osakawebbie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"It gets water by 'wicking'."
    You mean that water wicks from the soil up the totem? Yes, I know the plant doesn't need water from the totem, but I had come to understand that moisture in the totem is how it becomes interested in putting its aerial roots into it, as opposed to permanently needing me to twist-tie it to the post. Some people say that pothos won't "climb" (via its own aerial roots) anything, but these roots sure look like they're looking for something to grab. But when I position the stalk such that one of the aerial roots is touching the plain wood sticks (no moss) that I have now, nothing happens. If only plants could talk...

• julia
    15 years ago

There is a posting on the houseplants forum re this question. Never tried it myself - I kill all houseplants in a few weeks. Gave up on the entire lot of them years ago. When I get them as presents I pass them on to friends and strangers as soon as possible and always before I name them. No point in getting attached.

"Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 13:52

Yes, if you allow it to climb, the leaves will start to get bigger and bigger. They look cool that way. You might need to tie it on til you get it trained, after that, you probably won't.

It does help to get them established on something if whatever you want them to climb on is moist. Misting the aeriel roots helps them establish."

I assume the misting referred to involves spraying the post and unattached roots with a spray bottle or mister filled with distilled water. You might even try diluted root stimulator; although notions like that have frequently led to a slow and painful death for my houseplants. Good luck.

• julia
    15 years ago

There is a posting on the houseplants forum re this question. Never tried it myself; I kill all houseplants in a few weeks. Gave up on the entire lot of them years ago.

"Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 13:52

Yes, if you allow it to climb, the leaves will start to get bigger and bigger. They look cool that way. You might need to tie it on til you get it trained, after that, you probably won't.

It does help to get them established on something if whatever you want them to climb on is moist. Misting the aeriel roots helps them establish."
    I assume the misting referred to involves spraying the post with a spray bottle or mister of distilled water. You might even try spraying the aerial roots with diluted root stimulator. Of course the latter might also do them in because it is exactly like something I would do. Good luck.